• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I got a Hugo Boss suit at Nordstrom today... Did I make a good purchase?

cruxisfalcon

Reaction score
Here's the suit:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-bl...l-suit/3023542?origin=category&resultback=545

I had a $150 gift card so it ended up costing me about $400 with tax and everything. I know Hugo Boss doesn't get a lot of love around here because it's fused and whatnot, but for less than $500 idk if it's possible to find anything that's fully canvassed. It fits me really well and the fabric is nice and soft to the touch. What do you guys think?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
may be a little expensive and like you said fused, but if it fits and you like it who cares? :satisfied:

Exin

Reaction score
Lapels too slim for my taste, jacket's probably a glue job.

Stylin247

Reaction score

Lapels too slim for my taste, jacket's probably a glue job.
AndHereWeGo.gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

freedom_fries

Reaction score
as you probably were able to derive from the above posts, a quality fully canvassed suit will cost you not just more than USD 500, but several times that amount, depending on what sort of deals you've found.

i think the hugo boss is quite alright, actually, particularly if you're on the slimmer side. i've never bought a suit in the US because i was never able to find affordable (for me) suits with slimmer cuts and higher drops. you won't find much love for narrow lapels in general on this board, i believe, but i like them them for the right body types and occassions.

Kslim

Reaction score
If it fits you and you like it, then :slayer:

facet

Reaction score

Here's the suit:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-bl...l-suit/3023542?origin=category&resultback=545

I had a $150 gift card so it ended up costing me about $400 with tax and everything. I know Hugo Boss doesn't get a lot of love around here because it's fused and whatnot, but for less than $500 idk if it's possible to find anything that's fully canvassed. It fits me really well and the fabric is nice and soft to the touch. What do you guys think?

I just purchased a Benjamin suit from ehaberdasher; it was $495, is fully canvassed and his suits generally gets positive reviews on here. However, if you like your suit and it fits you well, then I say "Enjoy".

zachthais

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who cares if its fully canvassed? Obviously it wouldn't be. Personally, I like most Boss suits. Its still going to last you a couple of years. I have friends who have maintained their Boss suits for well over five years, including my father. Do you like how it looks and fits? If you do, then that's all that matters, unless you're somebody who isn't going to buy a ton of suits over your lifetime and will need this 400 dollars to last your a good 10 years. Then, I would suggest Benjamin Sartorial, for about the same price and fully canvassed. But a very different fit. Again, I personally dig Boss suits, but I get why they don't get a lot of love. I wouldn't buy one as a first suit, maybe a 4th or 5th.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Who cares if its fully canvassed? Obviously it wouldn't be. Personally, I like most Boss suits. Its still going to last you a couple of years. I have friends who have maintained their Boss suits for well over five years, including my father. Do you like how it looks and fits? If you do, then that's all that matters, unless you're somebody who isn't going to buy a ton of suits over your lifetime and will need this 400 dollars to last your a good 10 years. Then, I would suggest Benjamin Sartorial, for about the same price and fully canvassed. But a very different fit. Again, I personally dig Boss suits, but I get why they don't get a lot of love. I wouldn't buy one as a first suit, maybe a 4th or 5th.
I care because the fusing will inevitably dissolve with dry cleaning. Then you're left with a suit that looks messed up.

Last edited:

jonc

Reaction score
I think lots of people here will say "meh, fused", "meh, cheap" etc. But obviously not everyone can spend a huge amount on clothes, and may have different priorities.

I've got a couple of Hugo Boss suits and I like them. They fit me quite well OTR, and I use them as work suits. I'm under no illusion that they are great suits (as I bought them since visiting starting to visit here), but I think they are fine as normal "I understand it's not going to last forever" suits. At least until I work my way up to the MTM->Bespoke ladder.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think lots of people here will say "meh, fused", "meh, cheap" etc. But obviously not everyone can spend a huge amount on clothes, and may have different priorities.

This.

The difference between the real world and SF.

Last edited:

Octoberfile

Reaction score

Here's the suit:

Personally, I think the suit is great for $400. If the suit fits right and looks good on you, then a $400 Hugo Boss from Norstrom's is a deal. Spending $300 - $400 for a brand new 100% wool suit is considered cheap, regardless of the brand.....and I don't think members here think Hugo Boss is horrible, just generally overpriced (normally $795 and up) for what you are actually getting....which is a pretty good, but not fantastic suit that happens to be a name brand, which is the premium that is added to the price tag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads