• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Dude also wears fits like this. I'd be verrrrrry careful about thinking he's got the first clue what he's doing.

View attachment 1674522

View attachment 1674523

I think he’s killing it in these pics

I personally wouldn’t wear jackets quite that loud, but he’s a designer.

for a mortal dadcore guy like me, I’d just tone down the jacket a notch and that is classic style

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Absolutely. But maybe it’s time to give up the Oxfords-with-suits-only thing, unless you want to make it into what British people refer to as “a bit”. I say this as someone who agrees with the vast majority of what you post, and who is grateful for your usual patience and openness and willingness to share your knowledge.

99%+ of people couldn’t tell you the difference between oxfords and derbies. It’s an irrelevant distinction in real life. It either looks good or it doesn’t

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a gaping difference between what Yasuto is wearing above and the blue suede oxfords, purple J. Fitzpatrick wholecuts, and walnut AE Strands some people here wear with chinos.
......I feel targeted...I wore chili Strands with black chinos the other weekend.

As for the Fitzpatrick..........those are some pretty peculiar designs ?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ and an even more important point. We went from sneakers with tailored clothing and now assessing sneakers worn with sweatpants. Just throwing a tailored coat into the mix doesn’t change that.
With respect, correction: We went from sneakers with tailored clothing, women wearing menswear, male fragility....I think that was the phrasing?; to now assessing sweatpants with tops coats and sneakers and posting inspo fit pics of Ronald McDonald. lmao

This thread is a funkier wormhole than the Walt Disney film Alice in Wonderland.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With respect, correction: We went from sneakers with tailored clothing, women wearing menswear, male fragility....I think that was the phrasing?; to now assessing sweatpants with tops coats and sneakers and posting inspo fit pics of Ronald McDonald. lmao

This thread is a funkier wormhole than the Walt Disney film Alice in Wonderland.

yes but they all intersect. How I don’t know. Following Alice, in this case, is safer and more predictable.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what I've had highlighted from this thread is:
1) "Fragility" as a concept precedes fundamentally from a priori assumptions, and therefore is unfalsifiable and a bad way to attempt to have a reasoned debate.
2) Too many people bought Strands and now are dying on a hill to defend them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, and post purchase you'll probably regret it, but at least the regret of a Big Mac is transient. The regret of trendy, bulbous, made in the DR shoes lasts until you donate them.

Allen Edmonds aren't made in the DR.

The DR shoes are either the (discontinued?) AE by Allen Edmonds line, the handsewn line of mocassins, or the sneakers.

I looked this up and I am finding not a single bit of evidence to suggest that DR makes its mainline shoes in the DR now. Where are you getting your countervailing evidence?

Also, I......don't think that AE would count as trendy. How many men really buy AE? If I see men in dress shoes at all, usually, they're Cole Haan or Aldos 9/10 times. I've seen Allen Edmonds in the wild like, three times.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
......I feel targeted...I wore chili Strands with black chinos the other weekend.

As for the Fitzpatrick..........those are some pretty peculiar designs ?

I tend to think red-toned shoes don't look good with black, but chili strands are sexy looking half brogues in general.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score

It’s interesting to me, with all of these topics, that sweatpants with tailoring set people off the most

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads