• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not suggesting that the girl attended his university. Only that it's creepy if an educator in his 30s hits on 18-year-old girls.

I know you weren’t but it seemed like others might have been .

If an 18 year old wants to have a fling with an older man I don’t see the problem with it.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Average age of a first year law student is 24. A 24 year old 1L (or 25 year old 2L) is not a 30+ year old teacher/admin.

agree and would absolutely differentiate someone teaching at a university hitting on a student, but the point is that young women do often seek out older men and they have the ability to make the decision for themselves who they’re interested in

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not suggesting that the girl attended his university. Only that it's creepy if an educator in his 30s hits on 18-year-old girls.

So apparently I have to treat adult women as children in order to be non-creepy? I thought respecting female autonomy was what a "woke" person was supposed to do.

Yes, I flirt with sexy girls in a consensual environment who are not affiliated with my job. I was over 70 miles away.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know you weren’t but it seemed like others might have been .

If an 18 year old wants to have a fling with an older man I don’t see the problem with it.

Perhaps. But it's not uncommon to think that men in their 30s should not hit on 18-year-old girls, or try to ******** with them. This is a pretty commonly held view and not something I would characterize as "clutching pearls."

A cutter once told me a story about another cutter. He said that, when the two worked together at a tailoring house, they drove to a trunk show. Along the way, the cutter asked if they could stop by a high school to pick up his then-18-year-old girlfriend. This specific cutter found it gross.

He presumably thought this was a very bad thing because he relayed the story to me as a mark of this person's character. I don't know how old the other cutter was at the time of this incident. I assume in his 30s given what I know about the career path of these two men.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. But it's not uncommon to think that men in their 30s should not hit on 18-year-old girls, or try to ******** with them. This is a pretty commonly held view and not something I would characterize as "clutching pearls."

A cutter once told me a story about another cutter. He said that, when the two worked together at a tailoring house, they drove to a trunk show. Along the way, the cutter asked if they could stop by a high school to pick up his then-18-year-old girlfriend. This specific cutter found it gross.

He presumably thought this was a very bad thing because he relayed the story to me. I don't know how old the other cutter was at the time of this incident. I assume in his 30s given what I know about the career path of these two men.

Consensual adults should be able to sleep with who they want to sleep with. I don’t think that should be controversial

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I’m going to guess that the people who find it offensive for a 18 yr old girl to sleep with a 30 yr old man would not care at all about a 30 yr old woman sleeping with an 18 yr old boy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
because the impulse to think it’s wrong is probably rooted in white knight syndrome

Amazing to me that some people here think that "men should dress their age" but not date people around their same age.

Don't wear a cool coat, but definitely go to the high school/ freshman orientation seminar to pick up on a date.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing to me that some people here think that "men should dress their age" but not date people around their same age.

Don't wear a cool coat, but definitely go to the high school/ freshman orientation seminar to pick up on a date.

Amazing to me that some people in 2021 are still policing other people’s romantic/sexual preferences.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score

I’ve been married for 17 yrs to my high school sweetheart. But there have been occasions when other women, including women much younger than me, have made it clear they were interested. It’s not a big deal and is totally normal. What’s weird is the paternal instinct to act like they can’t decide for themselves

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This convo feels like the only thing stopping some guys from ********** with a 16 or 17-year-old is the technicality of the law.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
This convo feels like the only thing stopping some guys from ********** with a 16 or 17-year-old is the technicality of the law.

I’ve literally been in a relationship with my wife for 28 yrs (17 yrs married, 11 bf/gf before that, going back to age 16)

im not hitting on random women at all

but im not blind to reality which is that young women are frequently attracted to older men

do they have the ability to decide that for themselves? That is the question

at some point, we stop considering people to be children. Do you have a different standard for when you stop considering a woman to be a child vs a man?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve literally been in a relationship with my wife for 28 yrs (17 yrs married, 11 bf/gf before that, going back to age 16)

im not hitting on random women at all

but im not blind to reality which is that young women are frequently attracted to older men

do they have the ability to decide that for themselves? That is the question

at some point, we stop considering people to be children. Do you have a different standard for when you stop considering a woman to be a child vs a man?

No, I would not consider an 18-year-old to be a man or a woman yet. I'm around such people on a regular basis and consider them somewhere between a child and a full-grown adult. Just because an 18-year-old wants to ******** with a 35-year-old, I would not consider it wise or right for that 35-year-old to engage. Because they should know better.

I don't think I was a fully developed person at 18 years of age. I think I was still very much learning to find my way through the world and make proper decisions. I can't give you a defining line of when someone became a man or a woman. I can only say that, I think people who are in their 30s should date people closer to their age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads