• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jacket?

Nextdaysushi

Reaction score
Hi,

I was at a friend's birthday party the other night and we were sitting around a fire pit. I just bought a Loro Piana vest jacket and sadly, now it wreaks of firewood/smoke. I've been airing out on the balcony of my apt. but it still smells.

What is the preferred way to get rid of the smell. I really want to avoid throwing it in the wash or dryer as it's brand new.

All suggestions much appreciated.

stevo

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nextdaysushi
Hi,

I was at a friend's birthday party the other night and we were sitting around a fire pit. I just bought a Loro Piana vest jacket and sadly, now it wreaks of firewood/smoke. I've been airing out on the balcony of my apt. but it still smells.

What is the preferred way to get rid of the smell. I really want to avoid throwing it in the wash or dryer as it's brand new.

All suggestions much appreciated.

stevo

Is there anything that prevents you from taking the item to a good dry cleaning establishment?

Nextdaysushi

Reaction score
No, but its just that its been worn only a couple of times its never the same after its been cleaned. Dry or other. For me, there is nothing like wearing a new piece of clothing and having that fresh chemical smell to inhale.

I was just hoping there was some creative way of airing it out naturally or something. Maybe Fabreze? (kidding).

steve

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but its just that its been worn only a couple of times its never the same after its been cleaned. Dry or other. For me, there is nothing like wearing a new piece of clothing and having that fresh chemical smell to inhale.

I was just hoping there was some creative way of airing it out naturally or something. Maybe Fabreze? (kidding).

steve

With all due respect, maybe you should consider another dry cleaning establishment.

When our LP Horseys, Cash & Carrys, etc. get too soiled we take them to Margatet's in La Jolla. For that matter, they do all of our cleaning and some laundry. There is never any odor.

All that said, I understand your concern about dry cleaning and its possible adverse effects. That is why it's imperative to use an established dry cleaners with a good reputation. Good luck!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear it after sex.

Nextdaysushi

Reaction score
Mack, That's a very funny reply. So witty!
laugh.gif

Full Canvas,

thanks. i'm not sure if i was clear. What i meant to say was, that i do like the smell of fresh store bought clothes. I wasn't referring to the chemical smell from dry cleaning. (although i am a ware of the chemicals used in Dry Cleaning and their deterioriating qualities.). But in general, the less i have to clean any jacket, the happier i am.

Is a steamer really a viable way to remove an odor? I would think it would set it into the fabric.

Stevo

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mack, That's a very funny reply. So witty!
laugh.gif

Full Canvas,

thanks. i'm not sure if i was clear. What i meant to say was, that i do like the smell of fresh store bought clothes. I wasn't referring to the chemical smell from dry cleaning. (although i am a ware of the chemicals used in Dry Cleaning and their deterioriating qualities.). But in general, the less i have to clean any jacket, the happier i am.

Is a steamer really a viable way to remove an odor? I would think it would set it into the fabric.

Stevo

Overkill unless you use it more than once but a Whirlpool fabric freshener will remove the scent and your vest will smell good, if not new.

Nextdaysushi

Reaction score
Thats a very cool product and looks like the exact thing i need. Do companies rent them? I've also looked on ebay but most are still selling over $100.

thanks.

steve

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either: leave it hanging to air indoors for a few more days or better, leave it hanging outside (securely!) in the breeze for an afternoon. Works wonders.

If it still reeks after that, you may as well get it dry cleaned at a reputable place.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing after sitting 'round a fire pit, but I actually enjoy the smell. It's like carrying a cozy fire around with me. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

stevo4

Reaction score
Its been sitting out on my balcony since last Sunday night and it is getting better but there is still a faint smell of smoke.

I may end up bringing it in or see if i can find someone locally with the Whirlpool thing.

Thanks,

steve

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me in the fall. Just keep airing it out, the smell will eventually go away, it just takes time. I think it took me 2-3 weeks to completely be rid of it.

stevo4

Reaction score
Thanks. So i guess you didn't lose power? My cousin said the winds in their neighborhood hit 90 mph last night.

stevo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads