• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slim fit vs. "athletic" fit shirts

identity-x

Reaction score
Did a search, saw similar threads but not this exact one.

I know it's all semantics and there are 800 words use interchangeably in describing shirt fit - slim, modern, trim, regular, classic etc.

BUT...

I notice a lot of RTW shirts describe their shirts as "slimmer through the waist, chest and shoulders for a more modern look" or whatever...

BUT (again)...

I don't want a shirt that is slimmer through the chest and shoulders. I'm broad backed, broad shouldered, and broad chested. Three parts pecs and deltoids, one part man boobs...but a small waist.

So...

Which off the rack shirts are the most athletic fit? Which have the greatest drop in size between the chest/shoulders and waist? What is the best option (aside from tailoring) for somebody with a 10-12 inch drop?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of shirting, I just compensate the tighter chest/shoulder dimensions with a slightly longer arm measurement. If I really want a well-fitting shirt, I'll go MTM as the cost isn't too bad these days.

Brandwise, I stick with BB BF and Uniqlo for the majority of my shirting needs.

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
Which off the rack shirts are the most athletic fit? Which have the greatest drop in size between the chest/shoulders and waist? What is the best option (aside from tailoring) for somebody with a 10-12 inch drop?
Your best bet is going to be to buy an OTR "slim fit" or "standard fit" shirt that fits you in the neck and chest and then get it darted in the back by a tailor, or go MTM/bespoke. I don't think you'll be satisfied with the results offered by any OTR shirt without alterations. I only have an 8" drop and ended up going bespoke to be satisfied with something that wasn't blousy in the waist.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever come across a button up that didn't tent for me. Find a good tailor.

jessis

Reaction score
I agree that you are better off getting something MTM - you will never get it perfect buying OTR when you have an "athletic" build.

Try nialma.com or something similar - not expensive and good turnaround times.

Good luck.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 inch drop. Versace, "Trend Fit" is a perfect shirt. However, the ones that I have are not really dress shirts, but more of a sport shirt. I think I am going to have one of them copied to make up some dress shirts. Also, Z Zegna is good, but not as good as the Versace in terms of fit. Finally, regular old cheapie DKNY slim fit are very good.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a 9 inch drop, and I have yet to find a well-made dress shirt that fits me decently off the rack. I can't imagine how much more difficult the situation would be if my drop were 10 inches or more.

Go with MTM, provided you can't or won't spring for bespoke. There are some very good MTM options out there that are priced comparably to mid-to-high-end OTR shirts. MyTailor.com (Joe Hemrajani), for instance, has always done well by me. Don't go with his cheapest stuff (in the $40 to $50 range), though. I'd recommend the $80 to $120 options for a really nice dress shirt capable of being a workhorse in your stable.

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj2009
wow, you have 10-12 inch drop? I'd be happy to have your problem.

I doubt getting an ORT shirt darted can fit you well. I mean, can it take in that much?

It is a great problem to have.

well...it's definitely more that I have an "athletic frame" and less that I'm athletic.

part of it is that I went from weighing 265lbs to 200lbs (at 6ft even) and there is bulk around my chest and under my arms that has been uber difficult to shed. I have a bit of flab in my middle too, but definitely V-shaped.

might have to go the MTM route. hmmm...new thread...

thanks all

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is shirts are sold by neck size. They take your neck size and assume the rest of your measurements. Also with shirts short of spandex you won't want skin tight measurements in the waist area.

The Italian shirts aimed at the younger market are fairly slim. At least for me. I'm approaching a 12 inch drop but my shirt size is only 40 15.75" If your neck size is bigger they are going to assume you are bigger overall and not slim.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
Your best bet is going to be to buy an OTR "slim fit" or "standard fit" shirt that fits you in the neck and chest and then get it darted in the back by a tailor, or go MTM/bespoke.
That works for me though might not work for the OP as I don't have an athletic body type at all, just an 11 inch drop. For dress shirts I go with inexpensive MTM (I don't see a point to getting nice shirts when they'll probably be too small in the neck next year), for sport shirts I get the sides taken in and darts added.

usedtowrestle

Reaction score
16.5 neck 42 chest 32 waist 155lbs 5'9" 32 sleeve. where can you get shirt to fit?? @ 72 I thought neck would have shrunk - I was wrong!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads