• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imtoomuch886

Reaction score
I got a question for you guys...

I'm about 5'9, 150...athletic build...my jacket size is 38S...

I've been goin around tryin to find a suit, and i'm having tremendous difficulty finding one with a jacket that fits me properly...every suit jacket I try on fits well around my shoulders, but has way too much extra cloth goin' on in the midsection...

i read somewhere there should only be a fists distance between you and your jacket when buttoned, but everything I put on gives me at least 2 fists...i'm lookin' for a more fitted style suit jacket...am I lookin' at the wrong suits, or is this a problem a tailor is supposed fix for me?

Thanks

The_Mayor

Reaction score
I have almost the same build as you. Outside of NY or LA, it can be hard to find something to suit my massive, Bob Costas-like physique.
baldy[1].gif

On the higher end, try Dior, Jil Sander, Gucci, and Ralph Lauren Black Label. They're expensive, but they're cut very slim and modern. Paul Smith makes some nice slim fit suits too. RL does some good made-to-measure suits for about $1,500.

In the more moderate price range (approx $1,000), try Z Zegna and J Lindeberg. Workmanship isn't quite as good, but the fit is very trim and modern.

You can also go the custom-made route, which is usually very expensive, but there's a great tailor in Hong Kong named W.W. Chan that does it for about $900-$1,000. He does fittings around the US about 3 times a year: http://www.wwchan.com/us.php They do excellent work at a bargain.

I usually stick with a 2 button to lengthen out my frame, but a "3-2 roll" would work too. That's a suit with 3 buttons, but the top button rolls as part of the lapel.

GQ just did a good piece on finding the right suit for your shape too: http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...d=content_5771

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about thick as thieves?

It's a brand run by one of the forum members. The suits are very slim (by the pictures I've seen) and he seems happy to take additional measurements before putting together your suit. There's a big thread about it in the Streetwear & Denim forum.

Oh yeah the suits run about $400

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27754

martinsth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Mayor
I have almost the same build as you. Outside of NY or LA, it can be hard to find something to suit my massive, Bob Costas-like physique.
baldy[1].gif

On the higher end, try Dior, Jil Sander, Gucci, and Ralph Lauren Black Label. They're expensive, but they're cut very slim and modern. Paul Smith makes some nice slim fit suits too. RL does some good made-to-measure suits for about $1,500.

How much is a suit from Dior Homme or Jil Sander (ballpark figure)? Where are the best places to shop for these brands in Paris or London?

Mixwell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by martinsth
How much is a suit from Dior Homme or Jil Sander (ballpark figure)?

I don't know about Jil Sander, but Dior suits run about $1,800.

texasmade10

Reaction score
I also am looking for slimmer fitting suits. A more tapered look. I have seemed to come to the conclusion that a MTM or a Custom suits are going to be the only way to get the right fit for myself. The only problem is I am having some trouble measuring myself.

I found a great website that lets you design and pick your own custom suit at an affordable price (450) but they require FINISHED measurements unlike most other websites (that require body measurements) i guess this is to avoid any mis-measurements on there part.

Anybody know how to get a good tapered fit? My body measurments for fullchest is 39 and jacket waist is 36.

Thanks

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texasmade10
I also am looking for slimmer fitting suits. A more tapered look. I have seemed to come to the conclusion that a MTM or a Custom suits are going to be the only way to get the right fit for myself. The only problem is I am having some trouble measuring myself.

I found a great website that lets you design and pick your own custom suit at an affordable price (450) but they require FINISHED measurements unlike most other websites (that require body measurements) i guess this is to avoid any mis-measurements on there part.

Anybody know how to get a good tapered fit? My body measurments for fullchest is 39 and jacket waist is 36.

Thanks

i think even tailors get measured by someone else
so... get someone else to measure you

texasmade10

Reaction score
I didnt mean actually measuring myself, my friend is measuring me. But I am having a problem getting a tapered look. I came to the conclusion that I need waist suppression on my suit, is this just based on the side of my jacket waist or do I need to mention this to my tailor?

Any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads