• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim/Athletic Fit Casual Shirt Brands

GQBaller

Reaction score
I just spent a lot of money getting the sides of some of my button-downs tapered. I'm 5'11, my chest is 40 inches, and my waist is 33 inches. I know there's a thread like this in the Men's Clothing section for dress shirts. My question is: What are some quality brands that sell slim/athletic fit casual shirts?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define quality in your eyes. What price range? I like H&M slim fit shirts but most people on here don't consider them quality. I think they're decent quality that's about on the level of Express. I notice loose threads on the shirt but just cut them off. So far no issues after washing.

How much did it cost you to alter a shirt? I just want to know for comparison. The place by my house is $15 to get shirts slimmed down in width.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Really? I don't think i've ever even seen a gap shirt on the rack that seemed like it'd fit alright. I used to try **** on for kicks when my gf would go in there. If you're a bigger dude, maybe if you sized down but even then, i dunno. I don't particularly trust you, but if it really does look great on you, that's lucky to find a super cheap brand to fit you perfect.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define casual shirts. OCBD? Polos? Tees?

slappysloopy

Reaction score
+1 Chrono, I just bought a shirt from gap and I sized down 1 and the medium is still pretty loose. I'd like to get it tailored but it was a $40 shirt that was on sale for 30. As much as I like the shirt, I just think it'd be dumb to get it tailored.

GQBaller

Reaction score
The Gap website is touting the "new button down." Maybe they revamped the fit.

I bought a medium, there's only like an inch or two of excess, which isnt bad for casual style.

zbreima

Reaction score
I call horseshit on GAP having a good fit. I was just in a store yesterday to check out the sizing and quality of the polos. Even the small polo is rediculously wide, its as if they are trying to market their polos to those hoodrats that wear everything super baggy... Not only was this a problem, but the quality of the knit fabric used was very poor in my opinion. Just shameful for a brand that used to produce quality products...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why did you resurrect this thread?

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Since this has been resurrected...

Originally Posted by zbreima
I call horseshit on GAP having a good fit. I was just in a store yesterday to check out the sizing and quality of the polos. Even the small polo is rediculously wide, its as if they are trying to market their polos to those hoodrats that wear everything super baggy... Not only was this a problem, but the quality of the knit fabric used was very poor in my opinion. Just shameful for a brand that used to produce quality products...

The main issue with gap sizing is inconsistency. I went by there a couple of weeks ago and saw a bunch of polo's on clearance for $10. Tried a couple of smalls, all in the same exact model of shirt; one fit me like a tent, one was perfect.

I feel the button ups have the same issue. I have some Mediums that fit me just fine, but once tried ordering a couple of medium talls online (since the sleeves are like .5" too short for my liking) and they were trash bags, both in length and width.

Best bet is to try a few on in store and decide if one "works" from there.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Why did you resurrect this thread?

it was his first and only post too....lol

zbreima

Reaction score
My apologies, I did not notice the dates in the red when I made the post. However this thread is pulled up on google when I searched for "fitted polo forums jcrew"(looking to see if there were any other brands with similar fitting). Still think its relevant, just my thought on GAP. To me it wasnt even an inconsistency issue, I could cut off 5inches on one of their small and it would still be baggy, however the Jcrew fits perfectly in the vintage fit.

Lol, yeh my first post would of course be my only post considering it was my first post... Have to start somewhere.... Genius...
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads