1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sky Valet update

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Apr 14, 2005.

1. drljva

drljva Senior member

(kabert @ April 15 2005,15:07) If I find any that fit, and that I like the style of, I'm going to see if they'd do a volume discount. Â Perhaps we could do a group buy of all their remaining stock at, say, 50% of retail.
    If you can pull this off, I will be very, very impressed.  IIRC, the majority of the shoes are 44, which means that johnnynorman will have to spend his next several paychecks on shoes (try explaining "objective need" for that one  [​IMG] ) or we'll have to scrounge up several more SF members who wear that size.  I don't recall seeing that many shoes over size 46, although SV could have some in the storeroom.
    Unfortunately, I fear that you are correct... [​IMG]

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I have this fear of posting any of my purchases on this Forum because Ambulance Chaser can always come back with the "objective need" test I proposed. [​IMG]

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

You just need a loophole: ". . . except where the purchase is an objective screaming deal."

4. johnnynorman3

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

6. johnnynorman3

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

In case you missed the post yesterday about the Edward Green trunk show to be held at Sky Valet on May 13th and 14th, see here: http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....t=10368 Also, the guys at Sky indicated they may be willing to entertain a Vass group buy for a discount. Â I didn't go very far in the details of the discussion, but I think they'd go for it -- probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% discount including the beautiful shoe trees. Â Unless someone has another idea, I think it would work like this -- they would provide/post an exact list of the shoes they have, with styles, lasts, colors, etc. listed. Â I think they have about 50 pairs left. Â If we can get enough people to commit to buy, I think they'll do a deal. Â There could also be, perhaps, a sliding scale discount -- e.g., if we get at least 20 "shoes" signed up, the discount is 15%; 30 shoes = 20%; and perhaps up from there. By the way, on Saturday, perhaps it was the intoxication of the beautiful spring day in DC, but I bought two pairs of Vass cap toes in the R Last (comparable to EG's 202 last), one an oxford in basic black and one a derby/blucher in oxblood. Â They are very comfortable so far. Â One thing I unmistakably notice is the curved (up/down) shape of the insole, which supports the arch. Â I think that feature is unique to Vass that I've seen. Â I really like 'em.... Â Since I was buying two pairs, the Sky Shoes guys were nice enough to include the gorgeous shoe trees for "free."

8. drljva

drljva Senior member

Your one lucky dude... TWO new pairs of Vass. [​IMG] Any word from the SV guys as to remaining sizes -- especially large sizes (46 and up...)?

9. kabert

kabert Senior member

I looked through the shoes that they have out (they have about 25 boxes stacked up next to the Vass display; I assume there are more in the back) and there are all models and sizes available (not U-last though) -- from oxfords to derbies to slip-ons to boots. Everything from size 41 to 46 (no 47s left; there may also have been some shoes in sizes smaller than 41 as I wasn't really paying attention to those). I saw several 46s for sale beyond what I bought. Here's an online shoe size conversion website for US to "international" sizing. http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_shoes_mens.htm

10. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

what are the prices of the Vass shoes at Sky Valet?

never mind. I see the price on earlier page.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

By the way, the Vass shoetrees at Sky are normally $50 if bought separately. They are worth every penny.

12. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Is this the tiny store that sells AE as well?

When I was in DC I walked in there and walked right out; didn't see anything but clothes swatches and the Allen Edmonds. I was looking for JM Westons and didn't see any (the guy was very busy so I didn't bother him)

I'm gonna kick myself if I was in the right place and left...

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Sky Valet does not carry AE, although they have a large selection of Aldens.  I think the store you are thinking of is Highcliffe Clothiers, Ltd., on 20th Street.

14. kabert

kabert Senior member

That wasn't Sky. Sky carries Vass, JM Weston, Yanko and Alden. (Soon to be dropping Vass for Edward Green)

Highcliffe carries AE and JM Weston.

If it wasn't Highcliffe (on 20th street downtown), then I can't think of what store you are referring to.

By the way, Sky's selection of JM Weston is 2-3 times greater/better than that of Highcliffe. On top of a wide range of Weston shoes and boots (at least 25 models), Sky also carries Weston belts and some very nice JM Weston ties.

15. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

so, shall we start a tally of who wants in on the volume purchase thing? I'm in.

16. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Thanks Ambulance and Kabert; I'll go to Sky Valet next time.

17. drljva

drljva Senior member

(kabert @ April 18 2005,09:36) Also, the guys at Sky indicated they may be willing to entertain a Vass group buy for a discount. Â I didn't go very far in the details of the discussion, but I think they'd go for it -- probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% discount including the beautiful shoe trees. Â Unless someone has another idea, I think it would work like this -- they would provide/post an exact list of the shoes they have, with styles, lasts, colors, etc. listed. Â I think they have about 50 pairs left. Â If we can get enough people to commit to buy, I think they'll do a deal. Â There could also be, perhaps, a sliding scale discount -- e.g., if we get at least 20 "shoes" signed up, the discount is 15%; 30 shoes = 20%; and perhaps up from there.
    so, shall we start a tally of who wants in on the volume purchase thing? Â I'm in.
    I'm in if there are any large sizes left. At a minimum, maybe some of those 46s can be stretched a bit... [​IMG]

18. kabert

kabert Senior member

I'd ask Adam about this -- I know there are 46s left, and he indicated that some 46s seem to fit larger than others (depending on the last, I assume).

19. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmm, this is an odd policy considering that the trees come with the shoes from Vass, at no additional charge. And they are custom trees, so what do they do with them if people don't buy them with the shoes??

20. kabert

kabert Senior member

By the way, the Vass shoetrees at Sky are normally $50 if bought separately. Â They are worth every penny.
    Hmm, this is an odd policy considering that the trees come with the shoes from Vass, at no additional charge. And they are custom trees, so what do they do with them if people don't buy them with the shoes??
    I didn't realize they came with the shoes. On Sky Valet's price list, Vass shoe trees are listed as $50. But I guess that's only if you want to buy shoe trees separately. By the way, the issue of shoe trees never came up when I bought the two pairs of Vass on Saturday -- they were just part of the package. It's not as though they said, "hey, we'll throw in the shoetrees for free" if you buy two pairs.