• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Valet update

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, the Vass shoetrees at Sky are normally $50 if bought separately. They are worth every penny.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Is this the tiny store that sells AE as well?

When I was in DC I walked in there and walked right out; didn't see anything but clothes swatches and the Allen Edmonds. I was looking for JM Westons and didn't see any (the guy was very busy so I didn't bother him)

I'm gonna kick myself if I was in the right place and left...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the tiny store that sells AE as well?

When I was in DC I walked in there and walked right out; didn't see anything but clothes swatches and the Allen Edmonds.  I was looking for JM Westons and didn't see any (the guy was very busy so I didn't bother him)

I'm gonna kick myself if I was in the right place and left...
Sky Valet does not carry AE, although they have a large selection of Aldens.  I think the store you are thinking of is Highcliffe Clothiers, Ltd., on 20th Street.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wasn't Sky. Sky carries Vass, JM Weston, Yanko and Alden. (Soon to be dropping Vass for Edward Green)

Highcliffe carries AE and JM Weston.

If it wasn't Highcliffe (on 20th street downtown), then I can't think of what store you are referring to.

By the way, Sky's selection of JM Weston is 2-3 times greater/better than that of Highcliffe. On top of a wide range of Weston shoes and boots (at least 25 models), Sky also carries Weston belts and some very nice JM Weston ties.

darkoak

Reaction score
Also, the guys at Sky indicated they may be willing to entertain a Vass group buy for a discount.  I didn't go very far in the details of the discussion, but I think they'd go for it -- probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% discount including the beautiful shoe trees.  Unless someone has another idea, I think it would work like this -- they would provide/post an exact list of the shoes they have, with styles, lasts, colors, etc. listed.  I think they have about 50 pairs left.  If we can get enough people to commit to buy, I think they'll do a deal.  There could also be, perhaps, a sliding scale discount -- e.g., if we get at least 20 "shoes" signed up, the discount is 15%; 30 shoes = 20%; and perhaps up from there.
so, shall we start a tally of who wants in on the volume purchase thing? I'm in.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Thanks Ambulance and Kabert; I'll go to Sky Valet next time.

drljva

Reaction score
(kabert @ April 18 2005,09:36) Also, the guys at Sky indicated they may be willing to entertain a Vass group buy for a discount. Â I didn't go very far in the details of the discussion, but I think they'd go for it -- probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% discount including the beautiful shoe trees. Â Unless someone has another idea, I think it would work like this -- they would provide/post an exact list of the shoes they have, with styles, lasts, colors, etc. listed. Â I think they have about 50 pairs left. Â If we can get enough people to commit to buy, I think they'll do a deal. Â There could also be, perhaps, a sliding scale discount -- e.g., if we get at least 20 "shoes" signed up, the discount is 15%; 30 shoes = 20%; and perhaps up from there.
so, shall we start a tally of who wants in on the volume purchase thing? Â I'm in.
I'm in if there are any large sizes left. At a minimum, maybe some of those 46s can be stretched a bit...
confused.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd ask Adam about this -- I know there are 46s left, and he indicated that some 46s seem to fit larger than others (depending on the last, I assume).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By the way, the Vass shoetrees at Sky are normally $50 if bought separately. They are worth every penny.

Hmm, this is an odd policy considering that the trees come with the shoes from Vass, at no additional charge. And they are custom trees, so what do they do with them if people don't buy them with the shoes??

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, the Vass shoetrees at Sky are normally $50 if bought separately. Â They are worth every penny.
Hmm, this is an odd policy considering that the trees come with the shoes from Vass, at no additional charge. And they are custom trees, so what do they do with them if people don't buy them with the shoes??
I didn't realize they came with the shoes. On Sky Valet's price list, Vass shoe trees are listed as $50. But I guess that's only if you want to buy shoe trees separately. By the way, the issue of shoe trees never came up when I bought the two pairs of Vass on Saturday -- they were just part of the package. It's not as though they said, "hey, we'll throw in the shoetrees for free" if you buy two pairs.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kabert, I'm interested, but only if Sky Valet allows returns if the shoes don't fit.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, on Saturday, perhaps it was the intoxication of the beautiful spring day in DC, but I bought two pairs of Vass cap toes in the R Last (comparable to EG's 202 last), one an oxford in basic black and one a derby/blucher in oxblood. Â They are very comfortable so far. Â One thing I unmistakably notice is the curved (up/down) shape of the insole, which supports the arch. Â I think that feature is unique to Vass that I've seen. Â I really like 'em.... Â Since I was buying two pairs, the Sky Shoes guys were nice enough to include the gorgeous shoe trees for "free."
What did you do that for? Â You could have waited for the 20% discount. Â
smile.gif
kabert, I'm interested, but only if Sky Valet allows returns if the shoes don't fit.
Sky Valet allows returns for store credit only within 30 days of purchase.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, on Saturday, perhaps it was the intoxication of the beautiful spring day in DC, but I bought two pairs of Vass cap toes in the R Last (comparable to EG's 202 last), one an oxford in basic black and one a derby/blucher in oxblood. Â They are very comfortable so far. Â One thing I unmistakably notice is the curved (up/down) shape of the insole, which supports the arch. Â I think that feature is unique to Vass that I've seen. Â I really like 'em.... Â Since I was buying two pairs, the Sky Shoes guys were nice enough to include the gorgeous shoe trees for "free."
What did you do that for? Â You could have waited for the 20% discount. Â
smile.gif
Sky Valet allows returns for store credit only within 30 days of purchase.
Let's just say Sky Valet and its proprietors have been "good to me" since I started taking shoes to them, and buying from them, about 2 years ago -- friendly, very generous and with superb workmanship. I don't know what SV's returns policy is or would be regarding Vass (incl. whether the policy would be altered if they gave a large discount for a group purchase).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understand, I'd simply want an exchange for the correct size, assuming I received a pair (or 2) that didn't fit and SV still had my size. Please ask about their return (exchange) policy for such a special deal when you're negotiating.
Having said that, I've tried on a Euro 45 in the U-last and it's too small, so I'm pretty certain I'd wear a 46. But you never know about sizing for a different last....

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pending a review of the styles in my size, I'd be interested in a pair. I wonder if we'll get enough people. Getting 30 (or even 20) confirmed orders for $650 shoes (even at 15% or 20% off) might be difficult (even though the quality of the shoes is superlative).

Regards,

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads