• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Tone and Color Matching

David Gaston

Reaction score
If this question seems odd, then please forgive me as I'm relatively new to fashionably matching suit, tie and shirt color combinations. What I was wondering was, is there a professional method, a school of thought or parameters of consideration in matching skin tones to match a color combination to shirts, ties and suits. For example, in advertising, a very dark female African model is rarely seen in photographs to model the classic "little black dress". In this example, one might think that a lighter or fairer skinned model would better define the areas where the skin ends and the fabric begins. So say for a extremely pale White male, can certain bright colors might be too much wherein more toned down colors may be preferred. So, in closing, in the professional annals of the fashion industry, are there skin tone matching considerations that the layman could use in matching colors in clothing?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are books and guides, but they are pseudo-scientific. For men especially, skin tone usually is and should be less of an influence on clothing color than circumstances, personality, etc. Even if those factors said "anything goes", skin tone can never be addressed without considering hair color and eye color.

Ivar

Reaction score
The only "color rule" I consider almost universal is that one should generally avoid colors that are too close to one's skin tone. So light-skinned Caucasians usually look terrible in certain shades of light beige, whereas black dudes usually look bad in certain shades of mid-to-dark brown. Regarding the LBD. I think black women look fine in that, but I can see why they would be made to wear other colors since a dark skin is the perfect foil to loud colors.

David Gaston

Reaction score
Yes, yes, see - that makes a natural sense you would think is "universal". However, I've frequently seen the layman break these color rules I suppose innocently enough without knowing the consequence.. Thanks to all of you once again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads