• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Vent Flaring Out

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Purchased a suit and only had the roll on the top of the coat fixed (it is a slim line suit so the fit was actually perfect). When the coat is on the hanger, the left side of the vent flares out (away from the coat). Shouldn't the vent just lay flat and unnoticeable when on a hanger? I'm taking it in to have it looked at. Does the alteration on the top of the collar have an effect? Any help is appreciated. I have an important work event to attend tomorrow and I was going to wear this suit! Here is what I'm speaking about Notice the crease/flare on bottom left side next to vent.
c84db49c.jpg
Bird's Eye View: notice crease / flare
7255bb0e.jpg
Full jacket view:
4f99bcf0.jpg

joegrec

Reaction score
Hmm. I have this problem but it only happens when I wear the jacket.

I know what the problem is. Too many donuts.
censored.gif

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I love donuts and all, but no fat ass here. 6'1 200 lbs, around 11% BF. It seems as if there is a wrinkle on the left side of the vent. If this wasn't a slim suit, I wouldn't have bought it in a single vent, but it fit me pretty well so I bit the bullet.

I will post pictures later tonight when I get home. Again, it doesn't only flare horizontally (away from the vent) but The left side of the center vent flares away from the coat.

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csheehan
This thread in AAAC may be of help. It covers both side and center vents.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ht=vent+gaping

Thanks for looking into that for me, but I believe I have a different situation. The left side of the center vent is flaring "away" from the coat. It seems as if the jacket was wrinkled/ unintentionally creased on the left side. I am not worried about separation, because that is typical especially for this style of suit. I am concerned more with how it separates away from the coat, as if someoe is standing behind you and slightly tugs on one side of the vent. That's what I mean by "away"

Thanks

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Just added pics. Not sure this is normal. This is the first single vent suit I own.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
The neck roll alteration may have caused a tension misalignment within the internal suspension sewing (or possibly fusing) in the area just above the top of the vent. This also might have affected the innards a couple of inches to the left of the vent edge. It's all so mysterious. You'll need a second alteration tailor's opinion, and an attorney. Sue the b@$+@R|)$ for irreparable emotional distress, indigestion, insomnia, E.D. and public humiliation. Let us know how it turns out.

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
The neck roll alteration may have caused a tension misalignment within the internal suspension sewing (or possibly fusing) in the area just above the top of the vent. This also might have affected the innards a couple of inches to the left of the vent edge. It's all so mysterious. You'll need a second alteration tailor's opinion, and an attorney. Sue the b@$+@R|)$ for irreparable emotional distress, indigestion, insomnia, E.D. and public humiliation. Let us know how it turns out.

Insomnia and indigestion were pre existing conditions so no dice there. I'm going to take it for a second opinion tomorrow

CBRYDR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Like I said before, what does it matter when it's on the hanger. You still haven't answered if this happens when you're wearing it.

Got home from work early. No one to help me take pics. I can tell you this for sure though. Web I wear it, there is a flare out from the left side of the vent. I'll try and update tonight when I can get more ASSistance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads