• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Malt Scotch

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've had the Glenfarclas 25, rather a bargain for a 25.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I did read it, just before Christmas -- apologies for no acknowledging, which I blame, with shame, on the usual holiday stuff. As you say, challenging to acquire, and even moreso for me. I'll get there though. That Lag DE is a pain to find, and I wonder if it isn't better to try it after some familiarity with the standard bottling. Caol Ila 12 is a great entry-Islay. As are some of the Bunnahbhains, and Bruichladdichs, though I have only tasted them an have none so can't recommend. They have finishes and do not hang their hat completely on peat as Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin do.
No problem, just wanted to make sure you'd gotten the info. It's too bad that you live in a state which prevents you from placing Internet orders. Thanks for the scotch recommendations. I did find the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition at www.klwines.com but not locally yet. As you say, though, it should be on the back burner for now. I think I'll try a Bunnahabhain 12 as my gentle introduction to Islay. From there I'll move rung by rung up the ladder of peat.

bc78

Reaction score
Balvenies are good. The Doublewood and Portwood might be something the OP would like. I also like Highland Park a lot (12 and 18). Take this with a grain of salt though...I'm a fan of Islay scotches.

chas

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with the earlier Craggamore recomendaiton. For the price it is tought to beat.

I think my favorite is Springbank, one of the last distiliries in the fourth Scotch producing region -
Campletown.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
Anyone ever try the Talisker 18?
I have. It has a seaweedy taste. it's very good. My personal favorite for a table single malt is the lagavulin. It has a peaty taste which is a little flawed and homespun. Makes you feel like you're on the moors...wearing a tweed suit
wink.gif

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have. It has a seaweedy taste. it's very good. My personal favorite for a table single malt is the lagavulin. It has a peaty taste which is a little flawed and homespun. Makes you feel like you're on the moors...wearing a tweed suit
wink.gif

Thanks. I'll probably be picking up some soon then. Lagavulin is one of my favorites as well. Also really enjoy the Laphroaigs.

bc78

Reaction score
I like Ardbeg a lot too, well at least the 10 year. HAve been meaning to try the others for a long time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A few shots of what I'm sipping these days:

DSC00829.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

If I wasn't firmly planted on the couch, I'd go take a pick of the Nectar D'or (thanks again Hunts) and the Glenrothes 1966 Single cask
smile.gif

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
A few shots of what I'm sipping these days:

If I wasn't firmly planted on the couch, I'd go take a pick of the Nectar D'or (thanks again Hunts) and the Glenrothes 1966 Single cask
smile.gif

How's that Bunnahabhain 12-year-old? It's the next scotch on my purchase list, as a gentle entry into the world of Islay.

bandaloop

Reaction score
If you are looking for a non islay, my preferred is Talisker. Great finish - more important is how you drink the scotch - if you don't have single malt scotch glasses a wide mouthed cognac will do - you must add a bit of water to your single malt. If you don't believe me pour a couple of drams and put a teaspoon of water in one and leave the other as is. Then nose each and you will find a world of difference - taste is completely different as well. The water really opens up the scotch. Never ice as is burns the scotch.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
No problem, just wanted to make sure you'd gotten the info. It's too bad that you live in a state which prevents you from placing Internet orders. Thanks for the scotch recommendations. I did find the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition at www.klwines.com but not locally yet. As you say, though, it should be on the back burner for now. I think I'll try a Bunnahabhain 12 as my gentle introduction to Islay. From there I'll move rung by rung up the ladder of peat.
The Bunnahabhain is a good segue. Caol Ila is also great in that role. Thanks again for that Cold Creek info; I'm going to try and procure some in the coming months.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
A few shots of what I'm sipping these days: If I wasn't firmly planted on the couch, I'd go take a pick of the Nectar D'or (thanks again Hunts) and the Glenrothes 1966 Single cask
smile.gif

'66 Glenrothes? We are moving up in the world, are we? (as if further was possible).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My wife bought me one of the first cases of Lagavulin imported into the US many years ago.

I've loved it since...the wife, too.

Probably my favorite, though, was the 1974 Laphroig that was bottled in 2005.

Oh, and Ardbegs from the 1970s are also great.

As you can see, I'm an Islay fan.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads