• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted suit with peak lapels

himatey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Best looking one I've seen

suit01yn5.jpg

I'm sure others will disagree.

What sort of pants would one wear with this?

1, 2 pleats or none?

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I would go with a single forward pleat, but the more fashionable (trendy) lines today would probably have low rise flat fronts. I can't really wear the sub 10 inch rise trousers due to height although they look fine on those of average height or less.

benjaminarnold

Reaction score
definitely a good thing. i own one, actually, it's on the cheaper side (i got it at goodwill after all) but it does the trick and looks good. pics:

n32787_34020859_5630.jpg

i'm on the right, please ignore the smarmy facial expression, slicked back hair and clearly college dorm backdrop. it was for a ball that my college throws every year so we all got super dressy. but the point is, single-breasted suits are fine.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
For business I prefer notched lapel.

I do have a dark blue suit, 2 buttons peak lapels I wear when I go clubing. It looks good.

Good to know that there are people who go clubbing in a suit. I personally don't do it, unless I go clubbing straight from work. I'm too prissy about having people spill alcohol on my suit to go clubbing in one.

As for the topic being discussed, I personally have seen quite a number of SB suits with peaked lapels, and this is in DC, where "sartorial" and "flair" rarely go together. Such suits appear infrequently enough to attract my notice, but at the same time, they are not exotically rare either.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
I think they're incredibly elegant. I prefer single button, low gorge (lots of tie showing) in a rich material.
Check out Kobe Bryant in this month's GQ online (or was it last month??). He's wearing several great looking peak lapels. Wizard of Ahs also has some on EBAY. I just ordered one from ....ok..here it goes...Thailand. The wesbite was mycustomclothing.com. Congratulations Mr. Baron on that impressive picture. Is that Beefeater in the back ground?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them to have some diversity, but now that I have some I'll probably stick with notch lapels for my SB suits/sportcoats.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order of elegance, highest to lowest:
*SB peak lapel suit with DB vest
*SB peak lapel suit with SB vest
*SB peak lapel suit with no vest
*SB peak lapel sportcoat

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I like them to have some diversity, but now that I have some I'll probably stick with notch lapels for my SB suits/sportcoats.

Like the idea of it but can't order one...

I just like my sb with notch lapels.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The key for me is a bit of belly in the lapels:
282793167_wAWdQ-M.jpg
- B

Can someone explain what does "a bit of belly" mean? Is the curve on the inside of the lapels? Or is the horizontal width of the lapels?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads