• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peak Lapel Single Breasted Navy Blazer

vezzmag

Reaction score
What do you guys think about a peak lapel SB navy blazer? Is it a bit too extreme? I already have DB peak lapel and SB notch lapel so I wanna try it out, but I'm still having doubts haha :(
Any comment is really appreciated!

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a third navy blazer, but if you really want one, sure. They're not my favorites, but there are a couple of vibes that work.

Do you want a super-bellied 70s sb peak a la Tommy Nutter?

2020_CKS_19703_0016_000(dame_lesley_lawsons_light_blue_three_piece_suit_tommy_nutter_1971052347).jpg

Classic Edward Sexton does bellied SBs too.

Or do you want something a bit straighter, a la this modern cut from Edward Sexton?

Or do you just want bold lapels? You can get a super-wide, bold SB notch a la Sartoria Giuliva:

Do you want it in some basic worsted twill? Or do you want to play with a new fabric while you're at it?

I'm a big believer in knowing what you want before you buy it.

vezzmag

Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a third navy blazer, but if you really want one, sure. They're not my favorites, but there are a couple of vibes that work.

Do you want a super-bellied 70s sb peak a la Tommy Nutter?

2020_CKS_19703_0016_000(dame_lesley_lawsons_light_blue_three_piece_suit_tommy_nutter_1971052347).jpg

Classic Edward Sexton does bellied SBs too.

Or do you want something a bit straighter, a la this modern cut from Edward Sexton?

Or do you just want bold lapels? You can get a super-wide, bold SB notch a la Sartoria Giuliva:

Do you want it in some basic worsted twill? Or do you want to play with a new fabric while you're at it?

I'm a big believer in knowing what you want before you buy it.

Thank you very much for the replies! Yeah I want to use just basic worsted twill cloth for it. Also, I'm planning to just use the blazer like a sport jacket, not in a full suit. What details do you think I need to focus on (i.e: patch vs flap pocket, vent, button points...). Sorry I am new to this, and navy is my favourite color so I just wanted to try it out haha

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies! Yeah I want to use just basic worsted twill cloth for it. Also, I'm planning to just use the blazer like a sport jacket, not in a full suit. What details do you think I need to focus on (i.e: patch vs flap pocket, vent, button points...). Sorry I am new to this, and navy is my favourite color so I just wanted to try it out haha

Navy is great, but variety is the spice of life, and you don't want to wind up with a dozen variations on the same blazer.

Here's an odd bellied peak SB on Aleks Cvetkovic:

Note the length and the flap pockets. These are part of the overall effect, even on an odd jacket. I'm not sure patch pockets with a peak lapel is a vibe.

I also feel like the Nutter / Classic Sexton cut is best for suits, so you get that full 70s effect. As a standalone piece, you'd need to pair things very consciously with them.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, it's totally fine to have a basic conservative SBPL navy jacket. Don't understand why SBPL means you have to go full Tommy Nutter or anything like that. Though I would probably get it as a suit rather than just as an odd jacket personally.

One thing -- if you're thinking of have it custom made, many would recommend going with a single button for a cleaner look. Would not do patch pockets; I'd have a slight preference for jetted pockets over flap pockets. I wouldn't do a ticket pocket personally, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
OP, it's totally fine to have a basic conservative SBPL navy jacket. Don't understand why SBPL means you have to go full Tommy Nutter or anything like that. Though I would probably get it as a suit rather than just as an odd jacket personally.

I definitely didn't mean to imply he had to go nutter, I just wanted to figure out his vision. I personally think that straight cut peaks are better on DBs, and skinny lapels are just bad, but... OP should have a better idea than "basic conservative SBPL," especially since a basic conservative single breasted jacket does not have peak lapels. He should be able to point to at least one example of what he wants in the real world before he spends real money on it. He should be able to understand what his new jacket does for him that his two existing jackets don't.

I just want to make sure OP is as thoughtful as possible. I've seen guys who think like... "oh, I want a new blazer, I like navy, what's next after my SB notch and my DB peak?" And just jump to the next thing they think of instead of going through their options in detail. I'm sure OP wasn't being thoughtless like that, but I think it's helpful to go through existing cuts.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely didn't mean to imply he had to go nutter, I just wanted to figure out his vision. I personally think that straight cut peaks are better on DBs, and skinny lapels are just bad, but... OP should have a better idea than "basic conservative SBPL," especially since a basic conservative single breasted jacket does not have peak lapels. He should be able to point to at least one example of what he wants in the real world before he spends real money on it. He should be able to understand what his new jacket does for him that his two existing jackets don't.

I just want to make sure OP is as thoughtful as possible. I've seen guys who think like... "oh, I want a new blazer, I like navy, what's next after my SB notch and my DB peak?" And just jump to the next thing they think of instead of going through their options in detail. I'm sure OP wasn't being thoughtless like that, but I think it's helpful to go through existing cuts.
Just think you’re overthinking this. Peak lapels are less common than notch for sure, but nowadays any kind of tailored jacket is uncommon outside of specific jobs. The kinds of jackets you’re posting are all extreme, with the exception of the one Andrew Garfield is wearing. I don’t think one has to have a “vision” to decide they want a particular cut or style of a jacket.

Last edited:

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about a peak lapel SB navy blazer? Is it a bit too extreme? I already have DB peak lapel and SB notch lapel so I wanna try it out, but I'm still having doubts haha :(
Any comment is really appreciated!
SBPL are very fashionable currently. There is nothing odd or unusual about wearing one as a SC or suit.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of SB peak lapels. The way they meet symmetrically in the center, without the overlap of a DB, makes them look like bat wings.

Beyond that, three navy blazers is too many. You're good with a SB and a DB. Make your next tailored jacket something in a brown or green tweed (for winter) or a creme silk/linen/wool blend (summer).

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Maxalex - the issue is more about 3 blue blazers. Time to branch out into something with a different color

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads