• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Signs that you got/lost the job off an interview?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Job seeking, interviewing, hiring, etc. is an inexact science.

The best interview I ever had ended with no offer.

The worst, an offer and acceptance.

Jangofett

Reaction score
It really depends on the organisation.

Some are so desperate, as long as they get someone who meets the minimum requirement, they will grab em'. So the interview is really a formality, to sieve out the nutjobs. Some are so bad, they even hire the nutjobs.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first 5 seconds someone meets you is probably more important than anything you could say during the interview yourself, unless you admit to having a scat fetish or something. It's during that brief moment that you can build rapport with your interviewer and give the impression that working with you wouldn't be so bad.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
The first 5 seconds someone meets you is probably more important than anything you could say during the interview yourself, unless you admit to having a scat fetish or something. It's during that brief moment that you can build rapport with your interviewer and give the impression that working with you wouldn't be so bad.
Any hints? I might in in the market again soon...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Any hints? I might in in the market again soon...

Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed.

Better if you're:
a) Tall
b) Handsome/good-looking

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in recruitment and attend a lot of interviews, recently I had a recent interview with a firm. I thought it was going good, then I noticed a change come over the MD who then came out and said, "there a lot of middle aged people like you." And it stuck me, there is no way they are going to employ me. I don't know what caused it I gave honest frank answers she liked my CV and was keen to get me in for an interview but then I just sensed this sea change, she turned and.

I got up told them I thought they unprofessional and thank you for wasting my time. I just knew as soon as she said that I was fucked and that no matter how good my experience and qualifications, referees I was not going to get the job.

On retrospect I should have told her to go **** a pig.

On one occasion I was working on a panel for a DoD job. The candidate was going great guns, the panel was all attention, even I was impressed, there was a fleet officer on it and two women in the panel. He was giving an Excellent text book response about counselling a staff member over an alleged sexual harassment issue, he had it down pat and then he comes and said 'then this dick head', well the silence was defining.

He blew it big time, down in flames and the odd thing is he didn't even notice he had fucked up.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I work in recruitment and attend a lot of interviews, recently I had a recent interview with a firm. I thought it was going good, then I noticed a change come over the MD who then came out and said, "there a lot of middle aged people like you." And it stuck me, there is no way they are going to employ me. I don't know what caused it I gave honest frank answers she liked my CV and was keen to get me in for an interview but then I just sensed this sea change, she turned and.

I got up told them I thought they unprofessional and thank you for wasting my time. I just knew as soon as she said that I was fucked and that no matter how good my experience and qualifications, referees I was not going to get the job.

On retrospect I should have told her to go **** a pig..

Good for you.

Had an interview.

The first thing the panel told me was the job I applied for does not exist but we have this other job, are you interested? Classic bait and switch.

Should have told her to **** off for wasting my time but since we are in the same industry, I said no problem. IN truth, I would not have applied for the job cos I know the hierachy is fucked up.

The boss seems like a controlling freak and the other guy in the panel is junior to me, know less than me and higher up the pecking order than me.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
On one occasion I was working on a panel for a DoD job. The candidate was going great guns, the panel was all attention, even I was impressed, there was a fleet officer on it and two women in the panel. He was giving an Excellent text book response about counselling a staff member over an alleged sexual harassment issue, he had it down pat and then he comes and said 'then this dick head', well the silence was defining.

He blew it big time, down in flames and the odd thing is he didn't even notice he had fucked up.

lol

Something like this happened with a candidate for a job in my office, but they liked him enough that they still gave him an offer.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed. Better if you're: a) Tall b) Handsome/good-looking
That's probably true in all walks of life. Perhaps unsurprisingly, something like 13% of US men are 6' tall or over, but close to 60% of Fortune 500 CEOs are.
cheers.gif
to a fellow 6'+ er.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
That's probably true in all walks of life. Perhaps unsurprisingly, something like 13% of US men are 6' tall or over, but close to 60% of Fortune 500 CEOs are.

cheers.gif
to a fellow 6'+ er.

fistbump.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed. Better if you're: a) Tall b) Handsome/good-looking
Aw, gee! While good, that's basic stuff. I know that. of course, but I was hoping for magic words, or something. .

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
haha so they asked what my salary requirements were, I said 25k/month. In my mind I had already included the housing allowance. They just sent me the contract. 25k/month PLUS 11k housing. Nice one.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
haha so they asked what my salary requirements were, I said 25k/month. In my mind I had already included the housing allowance. They just sent me the contract. 25k/month PLUS 11k housing. Nice one.
haaa. which currency are we talking about here?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
also 20k relocation + pair airfare. Niiiice.

HKD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads