• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking, stretching....I'm confused

Yudi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm totally new to the whole dry denim thing and have gleaned a helluva lot of info from reading previous posts. But there are a few things I still don't get. I know you guys explain this stuff over and over but I'd be ever so grateful if you could do it just one more time for me...

I'm looking to get a pair of RRDS Nudies. I'm planning on going the full hog and not washing for 6 months etc. The question that I don't get is what size to buy them at initially. I keep reading that they stretch out as you wear them but also that they will shrink over time...I'm not sure which way to turn now.

My height is 5'10" and I'm 160 lbs with a waist that is usually around 32". I normally take a 32" leg length as well. So when I buy the nudies, what size do I go for? Do I buy a size that is quite tight at the waist in the anticipation of it stretching? If so, what happens after I wash it and the waist then stretches even tighter, won't it be too small?

And as regards length, do I go for slightly longer than usual and just deal with lots of bunching at the bottom until the first wash at which point they shrink to the correct length? The way I see it now is that if I buy a 34 leg then after I do the first wash they'll shrink an inch or two and be the correct length after that...is that right? Btw, I'm not really a turnup kind of guy and would prefer to not have any on my jeans, selvedge or no.

Also, I keep seeing guys mention soaking in a bathtub while wearing your jeans to shrink them but am not quite sure why you would want to do that...can someone explain this to me fully?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid or obvious but you have to understand you're dealing with a total newbie here. Thanks very much for the help guys, much appreciated!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about the same weight height and waist size as you. I have no idea, I have wanted to get some dry denim for a while also but I cannot afford mistakes
frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
31x34 if you want a tight fit.
32x34 if you want a loose fit.

Reaction score
i agree w/ D&W's waist recommendations-----but you can get away with a 32" leg; when the waist stretches they will sit lower on the hips-----how they were intended to be worn.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
The cold soak is just one way to get the shrink out of the way, so that the whiskers and honeycombs don't shift when you do your first wash. Also, putting them on helps shape them to your body, supposedly also helps set in those creases. And if you've sized down where you can't button them up much, it helps control the shrinkage in the waist, so you can still button them up after the soak.

chipopo

Reaction score
I own a pair of RRDS and really love them.
I think you should get a pair in 31X32 (tight fit) or 32x32 (normal fit).

Since RRDSs are safordized the whole "cold soak before wear" issue does not apply here. Sanfordized jeans will shrink very little and the creases movement will be un noticable.
Also, after the first cold soak you'll lose most of the starch and your pair will not look "shiny" anymore (No "raw effect").

However, you may want to soak them to make wearing them in summer bareable (They'll become lighter (in weight) and more breathable).

Hope this helps...

Chipopo.

Yudi

Reaction score
Thanks guys, alot of helpful tips there. After reading your responses, I think I may go for the 32x32s as I don't want the leg to be too long.

Here's another question: I keep hearing about how getting water on the jeans is very bad and to be avoided, but according to http://www.psychopedia.com/dailynews...e_tips_fr.html :

"Use a spray bottle with water in it. By continually spraying down your jeans, they'll start to mold to your body; and natural creases, folds, and areas of stress will start to break in. Wear as often as possible without washing to achieve the most authentic vintage appearance. With commitment, these jeans will become your favorite." - Scott Morrison, co-founder/designer of Earnest Sewn

So what's the deal? Is spraying them down a good idea or will it ruin them?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should go for a 32x32. They won't stretch as much if you wear them the way they are intended to be worn (i.e : classic, slightly lose fit).

!luc

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
You should go for a 32x32. They won't stretch as much if you wear them the way they are intended to be worn (i.e : classic, slightly lose fit).

!luc

Thanks luc. I'm gonna go for the 32x32s.

I tell you, this jeans lark is great but most people I tell about it seem to think I'm basically insane for going to all this effort just for a pair of jeans.

I told my one friend yesterday that I was buying a pair of raw, unwashed jeans and she said to me: "Yeah, but all jeans aren't washed yet when you buy them from a store. You wash them when they get dirty. I wouldn't want to buy a washed pair of jeans because that means someone's used them before. Being unwashed is normal". I tried to explain but I guess some people just don't quite get it.
tounge.gif

Reaction score
Don't bother spraying down your Nudies-----these break in easily and hold creases well. Just live in them and don't give them another thought.
teacha.gif

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Don't bother spraying down your Nudies-----these break in easily and hold creases well. Just live in them and don't give them another thought.
teacha.gif

Beautiful! Just the way I like it. Wear 'em hard and don't you worry bout a thing.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am between a 31 and 32 waist. I got some RRDS in a 32, and they stretched a bit much for me. I just put on a new pair in a 31 waist today, and they are tight right now, but are loosening up. I think this was the right size. My testicles disagree at the moment, but they only think they are in charge. I'd order both, and see how easily they go on. The 31 was a bit hard to button the first time, and they have gottne easier the few times I've opened and closed them.

swooc

Reaction score
im normally a waist 32 and i bought a 31. If i was to purchase another pair it would probably be a 30. My pair has streched to around a 33 now. When i tryed on a 32 it felt like a 33.

I would recommend either a 31 or 30.

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I am between a 31 and 32 waist. I got some RRDS in a 32, and they stretched a bit much for me. I just put on a new pair in a 31 waist today, and they are tight right now, but are loosening up. I think this was the right size. My testicles disagree at the moment, but they only think they are in charge. I'd order both, and see how easily they go on. The 31 was a bit hard to button the first time, and they have gottne easier the few times I've opened and closed them.

Your waist is a bit smaller than mine, as I can push up to around a 33 at times. I think if I got them in 31 they would be outrageously tight and I may as well just get a vasectomy while I'm at it. I'm going to pop into a store that stocks Nudies over here and try them on anyway, but thanks for the advice, I"ll give the 31 a spin while I'm at it.

I also don't mind the jeans stretching out a little as I always wear a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads