• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Off Your Black Tie Rig!

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched and could not find a thread like this. If I've missed it, please direct me there, and I'll participate. But, assuming there isn't a thread like this, I'll go first.

I just received the last pieces (shirt and bow tie) yesterday, so, obviously, could not resist putting the whole kit together to see how it looked. For the record I was trying not to look like an ostentatious douche. I think I failed.

Easily my favourite element has to be this vintage waistcoat. Hard to see, but those are silk faced, shawl revers. 4 buttons, but low profile, showing three studs. This was $50 at rubylane.com (I think) and then needed to be taken in substantially. Completely worth it. Shirt and tie from clermontdirect.com - will be getting the shirt darted and shortened, plus starched, to avoid the buckling apparent on the bosom.

just noticed how off kilter the bow tie looks in this photo; will need more practice. Anyway, studs and links were found at a vintage store for $15. Just pot metal and (probably) plastic, but have a nice milgrain detail that I like, and look sharp enough - and different from a rental, which is well worth $15.

Dinner jacket and pants are a vintage find; 75% Mohair, 25% wool. $140 after I haggled a bit. Sleeves had to be shortened. The jacket could be altered to fit a touch better, I admit. Collectively, my tailor and I decided it was not worth the expense at this juncture. Would have cost as much as I paid in the first place.

Nice detail I'm quite pleased with - the cufflinks (which match the studs) are double sided. Quite elegant, and highly reccomended detail by Peter Marshall - could never have put this outfit together without his site!

CK Opera pumps - they're basically an approximation of the Ferragamo version, for one quarter the price. Got them on Zappos for $130 and pretty pleased with the value. Obviously, compared to the real deal, they are inferior, but I'm happy with them. Hopefully some day can upgrade to the genuine article.

Again, all props to www.BlackTieGuide.com - could not have done it otherwise!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silhouette looks good...hard to see the details because it is a black suit with bad lighting. Pretty smoking shoes...from the shots it looks like the shirt is light grey...I hipe that is not the case!

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silhouette looks good...hard to see the details because it is a black suit with bad lighting. Pretty smoking shoes...from the shots it looks like the shirt is light grey...I hipe that is not the case!

The shirt is white, just the shadows. When I get some professional pictures from the wedding, I will post them - the shirt is out for minor alterations at the moment. Getting it shortened and darted to help with the issue of bunching up in the chest and stomach.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics