• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Tie Question

Young Pro

Reaction score
Forgive what may be a silly question from a black tie beginner.

I was recently in the market for my first "self-tie" bow tie. I ended up buying this one from Eton (https://www.harryrosen.com/en/product/eton-grosgrain-silk-bow-tie-47278501). While it is indeed "self-tie", it's made from two separate pieces and effectively needs to be tied before it's put around your neck, and then hooked together. I guess it looked fine, but felt a bit inauthentic, and could never have supported the totally-improper, but still cool end-of-the-night look with the untied bow around your neck.

All that to say, are there makers who sell one-piece, non-adjustable bow ties? Not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but I'm thinking of it just like a traditional long neck tie. Given the shorter length and less tolerance for neck size, I presume it would need to be individually sized (presumably similar to shirt neck sizing). Would love to purchase a great quality one and have it for a lifetime.

Thanks everyone.

bertie

Reaction score
Sam Hober will custom make a self-tie bow tie for you but you need to provide the specifications.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
it's made from two separate pieces and effectively needs to be tied before it's put around your neck, and then hooked together. I guess it looked fine, but felt a bit inauthentic, and could never have supported the totally-improper, but still cool end-of-the-night look with the untied bow around your neck.

Most bowties are adjustable. There is no requirement to tie it off your neck and then cinch it together - it can be tied on your neck. There is also nothing stopping you from untying it at the end of the night. Unless you're saying the Eton bowtie has some sort of hook system that is so unstable that it will fall apart without pressure? Mine from Kent Wang has length adjusters, and my no-name one from LuxeSwap has a set of four buttons, neither of which threaten to fall apart. If Eton's does, that seems more a problem with their product than adjustable bowties in general.

Though I have no purchased one, everyone on this forum speaks most highly of Sam (David) Hober. Get your current bowtie as perfect as it gets, figure out if there's anything you want to change (material, color, bow shape, etc), figure out its total length as fitted, and ask them to make you one. It will be one-piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads