• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

JDelage

Reaction score
All - looking for a cold weather coat. What do you think?

1) Filson Down Cruiser - made in Seattle (where I am), plenty of pockets, water resistant, best color (olive)
https://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets/down-cruiser-10652.html

2) IH N-1 Jacket - more stylish (but maybe less warm?), trimer fit & looks, legendary construction quality
https://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ihm-14.html

What do you guys think? Any other option I should look into?

Slashslash

Reaction score
(cross-posted from SLP thread)

Fit check / validation on this Saint Laurent L01 leather jacket please. It's a 46 when I'm usually a 48, and I'd like it to fit slim. I'm about 5"11, 160 pounds, and I have on a thin sweatshirt with a t-shirt underneath. I'm worried about longer term stretch, but I'm not sure I can fit into a 44. Thanks in advance!

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My birthday is not until April and I'm already thinking about a self-present... I'm after a watch that I can wear with monochrome fits. I have 3 watches and all of them pretty inexpensive (for a watch and by SF standards, sub $300), and this is no exception (I buy watches based purely on design):

I usually dislike metallic straps but I really like this mesh design, although I'll probably buy the black leather strap down the road, it also looks good with that.

This watch is 230 pounds. The thing is, for around 400 I could get the automatic, non-chrono version:

Pros of the quartz:

- I kinda like the chrono version better, although it might look too busy, especially for a bauhaus-style watch?
- It's 10% thinner.
- Cheaper.

Pros of the automatic:

- It's automatic!

I know SWD is not very into watches (neither am I, really) but I figured out I'd ask.

Couple more pics:

PS: my grail would be a Junghans Max Bill, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend on a watch.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@JDelage I've got a deck jacket from another brand and with the alpaca fleece lining and collar its really quite warm. I think that could be a good choice. Norwegian Rain makes a deck jacket style as well, which they call the Bum Freezer (for better or worse), and their jackets are maybe a little more technical, but super warm with the arctic liner and shearling collar. Might be worth a look.

@MickeyPunch I like the domed crystal on those watches and the Bauhaus styling. Chrono is maybe a little busy, but Junghans chronos are pretty busy too.

I'm of the same mind about metal watch bands. Don't really like the standard versions, but I do like these mesh styles.

One thing about watches is that they are relatively easy to sell on through eBay, etc. If you decided to get the Max Bill and in a few years you want to move it along, I think you'd get a fair portion of your money back. Maybe the same for the Junkers.

The basic Max Bill's only about 2x cost of the Junkers chrono, right? And you can get a hand wind! Which is so impractical, it's cool! :) Of course Junghans chronos are much more expensive, so then the Junkers makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, happy birthday in advance.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save a little longer and get there watch you really want

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. My dream watch is this one:

But this is over 1,500 pounds and the quartz Junkers is 230, and I think it's close enough. And yes I know that feeling when you don't buy what you really wanted, but I don't think it'll happen to me with a watch. Hopefully.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand gdl203's advice. But at the same time at 6x the cost I think you may well do fine with the Junkers. My point about reselling may still be useful too. Get the junkers and see how you like it. If you are still longing for the Max Bill then start saving and eventually sell the Junkers for what you can get for it.

Greg is a verified watch Big Timer though, so take my advice for what it's worth.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think? Any other option I should look into?

i feel like the ironheart might be the cooler of the two. both of these are fine but not terribly interesting. i second looking into norwegian rain, as frank suggested.

Fit check / validation 

sleeves and body seem a tad short. i think a 48 is going to work better and still look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads