Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

^^ Ugly, bro. Don't do it.

2. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Also a lot of no.

You need to either wait and acquire some sense of what doesn't suck before spending your hard earned cash or get someone to shop for you.

4. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

I have a budget of $200 for boots for this winter, are the Red Wings that ugly? If I got them I was planning to wear them with some slim fit raw denim

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

If I got them I was planning to wear them with some slim fit raw denim
    Well, shit. I never would have expected that.

6. theom-

theom- Senior member

I have a budget of $200 for boots for this winter, are the Red Wings that ugly? If I got them I was planning to wear them with some slim fit raw denim
    How original... EDIT Beat me to the chase synth....

7. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Well hey, I'm just 19 years old and on a student budget. I'm barely even starting to build up a respectable wardrobe. I know I don't exactly have that many nice pieces yet, so I started by getting a pair of nice raw denim and I'm working from there. Do you guys know of any decent boots under $200?

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Unfortunately, not really. Boots are pretty necessary for college, however (IMO). Really, your best bet is to wait for something good to pop up on B+S. Really, AR_6 is spot in - when you're in college, 200$ is a lot of money (at least, it was for me), which means that you'd better put some consideration into what you're buying. Honestly, college is probably the best place to look like an urban lumberjack. If you want to wear red wings, a flannel, and raws every day, now's the time to do it. If that's the case, though, try to find some boots that are a bit more versatile than the ones you've posted - now, this is obviously all dependent on taste, but a commando sole is probably out. Get a boot with a leather sole and put a vibram sole on top of that. If you want red wings, Iron Rangers generally get noticed, in a good way. Also, LL Bean Katahdin's are probably the best, cheapest work-boot option out there - but they look quite a bit more like shit-kickers than some other boots you'll find. I've never seen timbs look good on anybody (I think even zissou would look better with something else), so take that as you will.

If you can, go try some shit on. Nothing wrong with buying a cheap pair of boots for college and beating the ever-loving shit out of them.

*Note: You will not look like a baller, following this route - however, you can easily look decent enough

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

the ones gdl got from projectno8 are on gilt edit : these [​IMG] should i get them myself ??

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

It's easy to get decent boots on B&S for 200 bucks if you wait. You're not going to get anything spectacular for that but you can get something good. I've seen aldens go for close to that.

11. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Does anyone have any experience with Premiata?

12. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Unfortunately, not really. Boots are pretty necessary for college, however (IMO). Really, your best bet is to wait for something good to pop up on B+S. Really, AR_6 is spot in - when you're in college, 200$ is a lot of money (at least, it was for me), which means that you'd better put some consideration into what you're buying. Honestly, college is probably the best place to look like an urban lumberjack. If you want to wear red wings, a flannel, and raws every day, now's the time to do it. If that's the case, though, try to find some boots that are a bit more versatile than the ones you've posted - now, this is obviously all dependent on taste, but a commando sole is probably out. Get a boot with a leather sole and put a vibram sole on top of that. If you want red wings, Iron Rangers generally get noticed, in a good way. Also, LL Bean Katahdin's are probably the best, cheapest work-boot option out there - but they look quite a bit more like shit-kickers than some other boots you'll find. I've never seen timbs look good on anybody (I think even zissou would look better with something else), so take that as you will. If you can, go try some shit on. Nothing wrong with buying a cheap pair of boots for college and beating the ever-loving shit out of them. *Note: You will not look like a baller, following this route - however, you can easily look decent enough
    Thanks a lot for the help. Yeah, $200 is a lot for me, but I definitely need a pair of boots cause I live in Canada, and I've set aside $200 for them. I've never heard about vibram soles, but from what you said it sounds like I can buy them separately and put them on the IRs? The process sounds pretty expensive though, if it's how I'm picturing it (paying to get the IR soles removed and replacing it with vibram). I did a quick search on vibram and I'm not really seeing the differences between the soles right now, what's so great about them?
    the ones gdl got from projectno8 are on gilt for ~170~
    I wish I lived in the US so I could take advantage of the deals that show up on Gilt

13. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

katahdins are really good. and with ll bean's customer service they are a great buy (made by chippewa in the usa, if that matters to you).

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

with patience you can get a pair of F+B < 200

15. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Yeah someone recommended those to me before. Would the soles have enough traction for snow and ice though?