• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying the long ring coat for a while now and Kap just restocked it. But now I can't decide whether to go for the black or olive one 😬

EK1011_KHA.jpg

EK1011_1.jpg

EK1011_BLK.jpg

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are both fine, but there are better Ring Coats from previous seasons out there. The one I sold last year which was olive and khaki with rope detailing, for example. Personally, I'd search and wait for one that I really, really wanted. But if one of those two versions happens to be what you really, really want, then you're in luck.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are both fine, but there are better Ring Coats from previous seasons out there. The one I sold last year which was olive and khaki with rope detailing, for example. Personally, I'd search and wait for one that I really, really wanted. But if one of those two versions happens to be what you really, really want, then you're in luck.

Cheers. However I've never seen the long version in any other way than cotton...

What do you think about the colors?

sandmountain

Reaction score
Continuing the theme of khaki vs black (which surely must be a perpetual conundrum here?) what do people think here is the better of these two? This is the ‘Big Pocket Jacket’ from MHL, which I’m considering buying. I wear a lot of black at the moment, so that would be the most obvious thing to get, but I really like the green colour for something a bit different. Any thoughts?

2A1653DE-A91A-40CC-B787-A01B475ECE6C.jpeg

181FE99E-F60D-4595-A887-92B13D1C7010.jpeg

Here are some people modelling the black and the green versions.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Green.
The big pocket jacket (and older variations with different names) lend themselves really well to the washed earthy garment dyes she does.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Def black. The green looks like surplus army wear too much. This applies to both Kapital and MHL.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think about the colors?

Olive.

The black one looks 'cooler' and if you tend to wear Yohji-style black on black on black, it could be perfect, but the olive would be the one you would want to wear more often IMHO.

Having said that, once I finally got my Ring Coat, I found I liked it more as something in pictures than in reality. But I think the problem was that having at last got one, I was starting to be less enchanted by the Kapital aesthetic in general. In other words, my problem not the coat's problem!

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olive.

The black one looks 'cooler' and if you tend to wear Yohji-style black on black on black, it could be perfect, but the olive would be the one you would want to wear more often IMHO.

Having said that, once I finally got my Ring Coat, I found I liked it more as something in pictures than in reality. But I think the problem was that having at last got one, I was starting to be less enchanted by the Kapital aesthetic in general. In other words, my problem not the coat's problem!

For the record, I have had ring coats for several years and love them. I currently have the regular cotton one in olive and the wool version in black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads