• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Trench coat

The colour isn't bad, reminds me of an old Prorsum linen one, on length I agree with @OccultaVexillum , I understand that a full-length trench on the op would look like father's clothes/flasher but that one's still too short, it should come to mid-thigh at least.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Trench coat

The colour isn't bad, reminds me of an old Prorsum linen one, on length I agree with @OccultaVexillum , I understand that a full-length trench on the op would look like father's clothes/flasher but that one's still too short, it should come to mid-thigh at least.
Thank you, I think based on the advice regarding length I will pass on this one and continue on my search.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's time to get a new Moc Toe Boot and I've decided on the Perry by White's Boots. However, I am stuck on the color. Which one is more appealing?

Distressed:
r4000-3.jpg

Red Dog

r4000-5.jpg

efta

Reaction score
It's all good, we need something to aspire to right?

Well, im fairly certain coherence has a revised version of the Al trenchcoat (I think its called Al II or something) but they can be difficult to source. Armoury has some other coherence trench coat models, but in my opinion their Al is the absolute perfect modern rendition of the classic trenchcoat. If you're looking for a trenchcoat in the upper price ranges, I would definitely have Coherence in mind, they are absolutely brilliant. Also, being a Japanese brand, they probably also have models specifically for shorter guy.

Just ask yourself if you want to look like Albert Camus or the guy in your picture.

Also, while the "stone" color can be a nice novelty, I would argue that it probably isn't very usable with as wide a range of other colors, though that is very subjective of course.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask, how big is your wardrobe if you are both looking at a trench and moc toes? I feel like there is definitely cool ways you can put them together, especially in a more casual Japanese sort of styling, however can also lead to having two pieces of incongruent clothing, personally I dislike that unless it's actual formal wear. Then again Visvim sometimes styles trenches with mocs.

I personally would consider the trench and what you want to do with it. I love long coats and I don't feel like height should be a factor (although I am tall so you can dismiss me), I like mine in darker colors. I think you might like stuff like military coats like M51 or M47. Both are long but can easily be worn casually!

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask, how big is your wardrobe if you are both looking at a trench and moc toes? I feel like there is definitely cool ways you can put them together, especially in a more casual Japanese sort of styling, however can also lead to having two pieces of incongruent clothing, personally I dislike that unless it's actual formal wear. Then again Visvim sometimes styles trenches with mocs.

I personally would consider the trench and what you want to do with it. I love long coats and I don't feel like height should be a factor (although I am tall so you can dismiss me), I like mine in darker colors. I think you might like stuff like military coats like M51 or M47. Both are long but can easily be worn casually!
Ahhh I was not planning on styling the trench coat with moc toes, I also think they look incongruous. I would say that my wardrobe is medium size, but it is mostly casual wear.

The trench coat is for wearing with professional/business casual attire. It rains a lot here and I don’t really have anything appropriate for wearing over a suit or sportcoat currently.

the Moc Toe is for days off. I have somewhat of a boot addiction

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Since getting the drake's moc-toe chukka (crosby) I've liked the look of it! This one from S&S looks especially appealing: https://standardandstrange.com/collections/boots/products/moc-toe-boot-burgundy-cxl

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh I was not planning on styling the trench coat with moc toes, I also think they look incongruous. I would say that my wardrobe is medium size, but it is mostly casual wear.

The trench coat is for wearing with professional/business casual attire. It rains a lot here and I don’t really have anything appropriate for wearing over a suit or sportcoat currently.

the Moc Toe is for days off. I have somewhat of a boot addiction

Professional attire in a pandemic? Meh, if you wore an actual vinyl raincoat with a suit, I doubt many people would care anymore. Frankly they would probably be more surprised you are in a suit at all. That is if you are in America. I lived in Chicago, and I don't even know when is the last time I've seen a full suit there. That was working in a big fancy hotel too.

Get a cool balmacan or whatever they are called. I keep seeing the Kaptain Sunshine one around and that looks pretty decent. Then again this is the streetwear side, youd probably get more helpful responses from the CM side of this place. Never been though

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Professional attire in a pandemic? Meh, if you wore an actual vinyl raincoat with a suit, I doubt many people would care anymore. Frankly they would probably be more surprised you are in a suit at all. That is if you are in America. I lived in Chicago, and I don't even know when is the last time I've seen a full suit there. That was working in a big fancy hotel too.

Get a cool balmacan or whatever they are called. I keep seeing the Kaptain Sunshine one around and that looks pretty decent. Then again this is the streetwear side, youd probably get more helpful responses from the CM side of this place. Never been though
I lived in Chicago for a year, man I do not miss the weather, but I do miss the thrift and vintage stores there. I swear you could be drowning in swag for the cheap. I didn't see a lot of professional attire except places like the Velvet Lounge, but I have to say the streetwear game there was on point.

I haven't had a job with a professional attire expectation in about 10 year, but I am transitioning from inside to outside sales where the expectations are a little different. That being said, I do live in Portland, simply wearing a button up shirt is probably more elevated than most of the folks here. Good point about the CM side though.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Chicago for a year, man I do not miss the weather, but I do miss the thrift and vintage stores there. I swear you could be drowning in swag for the cheap. I didn't see a lot of professional attire except places like the Velvet Lounge, but I have to say the streetwear game there was on point.

I haven't had a job with a professional attire expectation in about 10 year, but I am transitioning from inside to outside sales where the expectations are a little different. That being said, I do live in Portland, simply wearing a button up shirt is probably more elevated than most of the folks here. Good point about the CM side though.

Dude, who are you talking, I am 100% a hater of Chicago weather. It's whack like half of the year, okay a 1/4, great for another 1/4. It's the reason I have made an escape like 4 times. However somehow, for some damn reason, I always come back. The food is probably a huge factor. Especially here in Japan, the food just doesn't compare.

Either way, the Chicago thrift scene is awesome, even with everyone doing the same, you could still find cool stuff. Hell, I only buy new when it's a piece I want to embellish my thrifted goods with. I have everything from Brioni slacks to 1950's leather jackets. I miss it, Japan has great vintage curation but it doesn't matter when it costs like 10 times more.

If you live in Portland, I can't imagine going to a meeting in a full trench for sure.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, who are you talking, I am 100% a hater of Chicago weather. It's whack like half of the year, okay a 1/4, great for another 1/4. It's the reason I have made an escape like 4 times. However somehow, for some damn reason, I always come back. The food is probably a huge factor. Especially here in Japan, the food just doesn't compare.

Either way, the Chicago thrift scene is awesome, even with everyone doing the same, you could still find cool stuff. Hell, I only buy new when it's a piece I want to embellish my thrifted goods with. I have everything from Brioni slacks to 1950's leather jackets. I miss it, Japan has great vintage curation but it doesn't matter when it costs like 10 times more.

If you live in Portland, I can't imagine going to a meeting in a full trench for sure.
100% the reason I came back to Oregon was the weather. Albeit I am definitely starting to get a little bored with Portland. Even pre-Covid, a lot of California transplant money was replacing the good music venues, restaurants and bars with soulless, sanitized dreck. I know it's common for people to complain about, but 5 years ago this was a seriously vibrant town. I do miss the food in Chicago, although Portland does still have some good food (sadly, a lot of really good places were finished by the pandemic).

There is a lot of thrifting here, but it's never been particularly *good* seeing as it's mostly Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, Nike, Adidas, and Pendleton stuff that was too ugly to keep.

I remember when I was in Chicago I felt like I was drowning in Kiton shirts and Cucinelli sweaters. I am sure that in Japan the vintage selection is badass, but from what I know Japan is a little different. Used clothing doesn't have the same depreciation it does here and a lot of the shoppers are extremely brand savvy, meaning vintage pieces can cost the same or more than retail. I had a friend who lived in Japan that was super excited to go vintage shopping there but then she was dismayed at the prices.

Portland is interesting as far as style goes; a lot of the women have great style. The men though....woof. It's bad. Really bad. But I prefer to look decent, I feel more comfortable that way

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% the reason I came back to Oregon was the weather. Albeit I am definitely starting to get a little bored with Portland. Even pre-Covid, a lot of California transplant money was replacing the good music venues, restaurants and bars with soulless, sanitized dreck. I know it's common for people to complain about, but 5 years ago this was a seriously vibrant town. I do miss the food in Chicago, although Portland does still have some good food (sadly, a lot of really good places were finished by the pandemic).

There is a lot of thrifting here, but it's never been particularly *good* seeing as it's mostly Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, Nike, Adidas, and Pendleton stuff that was too ugly to keep.

I remember when I was in Chicago I felt like I was drowning in Kiton shirts and Cucinelli sweaters. I am sure that in Japan the vintage selection is badass, but from what I know Japan is a little different. Used clothing doesn't have the same depreciation it does here and a lot of the shoppers are extremely brand savvy, meaning vintage pieces can cost the same or more than retail. I had a friend who lived in Japan that was super excited to go vintage shopping there but then she was dismayed at the prices.

Portland is interesting as far as style goes; a lot of the women have great style. The men though....woof. It's bad. Really bad. But I prefer to look decent, I feel more comfortable that way

Japan can have deals but I find most of the deals are weird. Like you have to be looking for something specific that is already sort of rare/wanted in the US, then find a person who bought it from a vintage store selling it on Mercari or Yahoo Auctions for the low. At stores, it's just too expensive. I find it better to just buy something on ebay send it to my family until I go pick it up. Although I often like seeing and trying on stuff that I havent found in the wild. Nothing kills a craving more than realizing that something from a particular era fits all wonky.

I keep forgetting that at the end of the Portland is a small city. It's nothing like Chicago, and it's fashion definitely reflects that. I went to Portland once with the intention of scouting it for a move because I wanted to be in a more outdoorsy area. Honestly it was cool, but kinda overhyped it so I my expectations were to high, and I ended thinking it was boring.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan can have deals but I find most of the deals are weird. Like you have to be looking for something specific that is already sort of rare/wanted in the US, then find a person who bought it from a vintage store selling it on Mercari or Yahoo Auctions for the low. At stores, it's just too expensive. I find it better to just buy something on ebay send it to my family until I go pick it up. Although I often like seeing and trying on stuff that I havent found in the wild. Nothing kills a craving more than realizing that something from a particular era fits all wonky.

I keep forgetting that at the end of the Portland is a small city. It's nothing like Chicago, and it's fashion definitely reflects that. I went to Portland once with the intention of scouting it for a move because I wanted to be in a more outdoorsy area. Honestly it was cool, but kinda overhyped it so I my expectations were to high, and I ended thinking it was boring.
The outdoors aspect is what keeps me here, but I have been considering moving somewhere more cosmopolitan. That being said, probably not the best time to move so I will do my best to keep enjoying the mountains and rain.

I do want to visit Japan someday but I plan to bring a lot of money when I do so I can go crazy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads