• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Agree both are great and you cant go wrong. I like the five zip a little more but maybe consider how often you'll wear the jacket. Suede can sometimes age in a slightly rougher way than smooth leather, which ends up giving the jacket a more rugged appearance. Less of an issue if you only wear the jacket once a month. But if it's your daily jacket for years, maybe the trucker will look better over time.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this supports or refutes your point re: wear, but I bought (then returned because of fit) a different jacket from the same season in what looks like the same leather. It had an extremely fine nap, some of the finest I've felt in a jacket. Still had some heft to it...you could tell it was calf...but it was noticeably smoother than I expected.

There are a couple pics online of tan/camel suede 5zips with some decent wear on them. I happen to think 5zips look especially good once they've been beat up a bit, but to dieworkwear's point, that may or may not be what you're expecting and/or what you're looking for.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My suede harrington has held up fine over time, but I find myself randomly worrying about the damned seat belt leaving a weird mark across it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, got a chance to see them in person yesterday again. Was leaning towards the first as well but didn't pull the trigger. These Uniqlo U "box tees" are really good though.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, got a chance to see them in person yesterday again. Was leaning towards the first as well but didn't pull the trigger. These Uniqlo U "box tees" are really good though.
I like them.

Admittedly they have a rough feel (this current season's crop) but they do soften up after a wash or two.

White Lotus

Reaction score
MEI+MD+2.jpg

29592-2.jpg

Yes or no on the shirt?
And will it make it look short with that fit (I'm 5'7)?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MEI+MD+2.jpg

29592-2.jpg

Yes or no on the shirt?
And will it make it look short with that fit (I'm 5'7)?

I like prospective flow, I tried em on at unionmade. FWIW they fit really big, that model is probly wearing a S

Landau

Reaction score

FWIW that is last seasons; this seasons is a lighter sand suede. I actually would have preferred the darker one, so if it doesnt work out and you want a lighter shade, let me know!

I do like the 5zip I got this season. The suede is meh compared to a Valstarino, but they really changed the internals of it a bit compared to my old 5zip. It has an internal pocket, a very nice twill lining and is cut much closer to the body than the old (but not OG) ones. Its a different look than most 5zip pics around now. Id order it and see if I like it, as I love mine.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Interesting. I sold the one 5zip I've had mostly because it felt so boxy on me it made me feel like a robot from the 80s. (It was a heavier/stiffer leather too, which made the problem worse) I might give them another chance hearing that.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They changed the pattern to be more aggressive, slimmer like more traditional "designer" type leather jackets. It's not the signature cut, which IMO is kinda a bummer, but if you're looking for something more form fitting the new models fit the bill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics