• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:devil:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which shall I buy, and why?

Lennox:
DfDlE.png

Kempton
9OdU4.png

kempton, stitching is more subtle and classier

I think the sahara actually looks better than both of them, and it's cheaper too, but I guess probably not as well made. But I would go with the lennox if i had to pick one of those two :D

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point, Teger. I kind of like the stitching though. More importantly: I prefer the lower Lennox and the two pairs of eyelets, in stead of three.

slstr: Sahara looks nice, but I want something more robust for these (autumn/winter).

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shade and 3 eyelet closure. i like both soles but ultimately the slightly higher shaft of the kempton does it for me. prob best for fw too (not sure if it really makes a difference :eek: )

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup.

Dles, i like the way its styled but i cant get behind where the zipper stops; way too far up on the jacket.
what type of leather is that? calf/lamb?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shade and 3 eyelet closure. i like both soles but ultimately the slightly higher shaft of the kempton does it for me. prob best for fw too (not sure if it really makes a difference :eek: )

Thanks. I like the lower shaft... Practically, I doesn't matter much. For snow I want higher derby boots anyway. These are intended for normal (rainy) autumn and winter wear. I'd prefer the Lennox with the Dainite sole, since I already have two pairs of red-soled shoes and none with Dainite.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the shade of the Lennox, but the superfluous stitching is no fun, and the sole appears cemented if you care about that sort of thing. Kempton looks cleaner and at least looks like it has a functional welt.

And before anyone claims that a functional welt doesn't matter or that welt construction involves glue anyway, it's been scientifically proven that running your fingers along the stitched underside of a sole eases symptoms of depression 75% of the time. Furthermore a full 40% of cancer patients reported reduced or even nonexistent symptoms within two months of running their fingers alongside a welted sole in this manner.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the Meermin version, looks way better

You mean these:

DSC_9672_zps7d9a355f.jpg

I don't want dark brown for these.

I've read the Meermin thread; both here and on the Dutch forum. TBH, I don't have a lot of faith in the quality of Meermin. I read excellent stories about their customer service, but quality control... I might try them for some black toecap oxfords some day.

Here, two pics of the same boot (Pediwear-site - Loake-site)

ORAxF.jpg

Bam!: Good-Year welted.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kempton for sure, not a fan of red brick soles, plus they're super slippery. Have you considered the sanders?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads