1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Thanks, I'll give DH and Prada a shot. Actually, probably not Prada. I can't really stomach the idea of wearing something with a Prada label on it. Just the name and the associations. It's up there with Gucci, D&G, and LV in my mind as a brand that is the quintessence of conspicuous consumption.

Also, the only one I sized down on was the Geller, and that's because the 48 was so damn big on me. :embar:

2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

remember, prada was one of those brands that thrived on minimalism. they're still into cool techy fabrics as well!!
    you can prob find a good, minimally branded blazer in a great material with ease!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. rockofeller

rockofeller Senior member

Should I buy these?

[​IMG]

I need a pair of "summery" casual shoes. These are by Rancourt & Co. Are they too grandpa? I don't think they make this style anymore.

For reference, here's a recent fitpic of me. Can you see me wearing them?
    [​IMG]

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

those are bad. and also not even slightly summery. How about some Bass buck shoes?

1 person likes this.
  5. rockofeller

rockofeller Senior member

As in white bucks? I'm not sure what I would wear them with. I could kop these:
    [​IMG]

But I was thinking something more along the lines of mocs/boat shoes with a little bit of dressiness to them.

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Prada bread and butter might be the heavily branded stuff, the shitty nylon bags and the plastic sneakers but as a fashion house it's galaxies apart from gucci &co., not even in the same universe.

2 people like this.
  7. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

if you want mocs or boat shoes get quoddy or yuketen. south williard usually has some pretty rad suede quoddy models. i hate boat shoes, but would buy and wear those, to be honest.

and those white shoes are terrible. proper dirty bucks make a great ss shoe though.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Luxury houses share similar revenue models. The money is in fragrances and accessories, but yeah, Prada and Gucci are at least planets apart. Gucci, as revived under Tom Ford, is sort of like Tom Ford - lux, sexy, with a very 70s decadence. Louis Vuitton under Marc Jacob's guidance (though he doesn't do the menswear) is all about luxury. Prada pretty much led the way for "geek chic", both in menswear and womenswear, combined with a striking modernism. The experimentation with stretch fabrics, the narrow shoulder and boxy, short jacket, androgyny long before Hedi Slimane, that's Prada. It's nearly antithetical to Tom Ford's Gucci, and you could easy see them in the same light as Versace vs. Armani in the 80s.

1 person likes this.
  9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I actually have he 48 (we are about the same size), and I think that it fits perfectly. I am probably 1/2 a size bigger than you, and I have, apparently, a much longer wingspan. The arms hit at about the same place, but the shoulders are more relaxed, and there is more room through the body, and slightly longer. I personally think that the it looks best that way, though you are entitled to interpret it for yourself. Mine looks nearly exactly like in the picture that Mortar had up, which is relaxed, but slim. It's a very lightweight piece (thick, but it's like a knit bonded to polartech, hard to explain), so it doesn't "droop" the way a heavier piece would.

[​IMG]

I will wear a shrunken jacket as well, but in that case, I like really saggy, baggy jeans, and some kicks. The idea in that case is to get the silhouette of an aikido uniform. There is an awesome picture of Hidetoshi Nakata in Emporio Armani from a while ago in either an Esquire or GQ shoot that shows a great example of this silhouette. Actually, a lot of Armani, who was always Japanese influenced, uses this silhouette, pairing a fitted jacket with a pinched waist with flowing pants.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

Didn't Prada pretty much invent that kind of revenue model too ? Seeing as it was a handbag / leather goods business first that only launched a rtw line in the late 80s after their bags became hugely popular status symbols, the clothes are the accessories to the accessories.

11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Nvm, made a classified ad for it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  12. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

If it makes you feel any better there's a nice thick black one due next fall.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

This always makes me feel better.

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

wouldn't buy anytime soon, but..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

wouldn't buy anytime soon, but..

I like the pants (just stay clear of the New Balance's :D)

16. Teger

Teger Senior member

would wear with some suede our legacy wholecuts, some MMM/CP lows or some rancourts.

17. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Sounds good - go for it

18. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I like them, what are they?

19. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

yo teg take pics of your shoes collection. i think you have a great one.

20. Ecco

Ecco Senior member

[​IMG]

Y/N? I was looking for a all white high top after missing out on the Blanc & Noir from Roden.