• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I keep this suit??

stunna7516

Reaction score
To make a long story short I need a suit for around $500-600 and I can't afford to wait much longer. I bought this suit (for $500) from Gilt thinking that it would be a bit more slim, so my money is tied up in Gilt credit if I decide to return it. I have a good tailor in mind, so I can probably get extensive work done if I have to. I would rather make this work than deal with returning it and trying to find something else on such short notice, but I also don't want to regret my decision a few months down the road.

In my novice opinion, the jacket fit isn't too bad (definitely needs to be taken in a little bit all over the place though). However, the trousers are way bigger than I thought they would be. The waist measures over 17.5 inches across, which is 2 inches larger than Gilt measured (33 inches), and the fit through the thigh and butt is correspondingly large.

Anyways, here are the pics. Sorry about the quality, they were not taken by the best camera.

stunna7516

Reaction score
oh yeah also ignore shoes + belt lol, I don't have any of my dress stuff here. you guys are confirming what I was afraid of so far... but this is exactly what I didn't want. I didn't want a baggy ass suit off the rack that would only fit someone 30 lbs overweight.

its just a bummer that I have my money stuck in Gilt credit now if I return it after they messed up my RLBL suit order just a few days before I bought this suit.

Doxe

Reaction score
The best thing would be to find a model of a suit that fits you by going to men's stores and trying things on. Then use the Gilt credit to buy a similar model suit from Gilt.

Good luck.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
have you ever considered going to a real honest to goodness clothing store?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Doxe, find something you like, that fits you at an actual store, and then make the purchase on Gilt, since you already have the credit. The suit is atleast two sizes too big, and I would just return it, and wait for a different suit to pop up on there.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
have you ever considered going to a real honest to goodness clothing store?

I agree. My suggestion for the future would be to shop around at different men's stores until you find a suit manufacturer that makes a fit and cut that you really like. Once you have done that, and feel comfortable enough with that brand, then you can begin to scower the internet for the best possible deal on a suit from that particular maker. Well that's what I would do. If you are stuck with having to use the credit at gilt. I would take a look at what there selection is for Isaia suits, I am pretty sure that gilt will have them starting tomorrow at noon. Good luck, hope it all works out for the best.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stunna7516
The waist measures over 17.5 inches across, which is 2 inches larger than Gilt measured (33 inches)

I don't know how it works in America, but over here if the item you bought is not as described then you have every right to a full refund and not just credit.

stunna7516

Reaction score
I actually have tried on Boss suits at Saks (I think red line, the ones that retail for $800) and they fit me well. This just is not what I would call a slim fit.

Thanks for the opinions guys... looks like I'll wait to get something on Gilt that I know will fit me. I have shopped around in stores (BB, Nordstrom, Macys, Saks) with little luck in my price range so far, and now that Christmas sales are over my options are even worse.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Send it back and take the money spent as the relatively cheap cost of a good lesson. I buy a fair amount online, but only stuff that I've already fit on in a store. Considering the number of points related to a suit's fit, and how important it is that it actually does, and how vague online terms are... what were you expecting? a perfect fit?
The way to buy confidently online is that you already know the item in question. It's like ordering shoes online. When you go to a store, do you just fit on one and say, ok, that fits alright I'll take em? no, you fit on many, think about it, then come back when it's on sale.

stunna7516

Reaction score
Everything you guys say is true. I have a lot of experience shopping online, so this experience is nothing new to me. My mistake isn't shopping online, it was going with a label that I was unfamiliar with, assuming that Gilt (who is known for vague descriptions/pictures) had the description right and that the label would fit similar to other Boss labels. I'm sure I'll find something that works on Gilt over the next few weeks.

The real shame is that my original Gilt purchase, a RLBL suit, was shipped to me in the wrong size. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Return it and go to your local brooks brothers for this suit:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

$499 for the Fitzgerald 1818 - slim but not overdone.
bigstar[1].gif

stunna7516

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Return it and go to your local brooks brothers for this suit:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

$499 for the Fitzgerald 1818 - slim but not overdone.
bigstar[1].gif

OK I originally wanted a Fitzgerald, but they said it would be about a month before they could get a suit in for me. I wanted a solid navy or charcoal suit. They didn't even have a 39, 40, or 41 Fitzgerald jacket in ANY pattern for me to try on. Then, I stumbled upon the RLBL sale at Gilt when I was waiting to order the BB suit. By the time I got that suit (the same price as the Fitzgerald was on sale), which they shipped to me in the wrong size, the BB sale had ended on the solid navy/charcoal suit.

So here I am today with a $500 Gilt certificate (which I won't get credited until after the Isaia sale mind you). But like I said before, my preference to shop online costs me in these types of situations and I get that. The nice thing about Gilt is that it will only cost me $10 and a few days of waiting to try a suit, and whenever I do find one, it will probably be a good buy anyways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads