• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Exchange? Or am I Being Too Picky?

jorshillay

Reaction score
Hello!

I just received these Allen Edmonds Bartletts in the mail, and as several reviewers mentioned defects, I inspected the shoes carefully. I found a couple small problems and I'm wondering if these are worth exchanging for, or if I'm just being too picky about it. You can see along the edge of the leather on the heel, it looks mangled and unfinished. Then on the other side is done correctly, but then there's this random line on the leather. Then by the laces again there's another line, which looks like it's a scratch of some sort. And last, the stain seems quite uneven, with random dark patches. If this is just normal stuff, that's fine and I can deal with it, but if you think it's worth exchanging, let me know. I'm not very experienced with AE.

Thanks!
Jordan

20200702_153951.jpg
20200702_153959.jpg
20200702_153909.jpg
20200702_153740.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The very first photo of the heel blem would be enough for me to ask for a replacement.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally think the shoes are fine. They're going to get a lot more scuffed than that within ten mins of wearing them outside. The "stain" just looks like burnishing, even if not the best applied.

My main caution is that you've bought a pair of tan oxfords, and those generally go best with lighter colored suits. If you don't own a lighter colored suit, I think you'd be better with a different shoe.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ excellent advice above re: shoe color and appropriate suit combinations.

As far as the blemishes goes, return them. There’s no reason to have to settle for something that is already damaged out of the box. Would you drive a new car off the lot with a ding in the door, knowing that within a year you would probably have a ding in the same place?

jorshillay

Reaction score
My main caution is that you've bought a pair of tan oxfords, and those generally go best with lighter colored suits. If you don't own a lighter colored suit, I think you'd be better with a different shoe.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't really thought about that. However, I do live in Florida and definitely wear a lot of light colored apparel for our perpetual summer. These will work great!

Though they would get scuffs, I still think I'm inclined to exchange. If these were factory seconds, I would expect as much. But considering they're supposed to be new, I don't think they should have passed through quality control.

jorshillay

Reaction score
^ excellent advice above re: shoe color and appropriate suit combinations.

As far as the blemishes goes, return them. There’s no reason to have to settle for something that is already damaged out of the box. Would you drive a new car off the lot with a ding in the door, knowing that within a year you would probably have a ding in the same place?

Excellent point, thank you.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't really thought about that. However, I do live in Florida and definitely wear a lot of light colored apparel for our perpetual summer. These will work great!

Though they would get scuffs, I still think I'm inclined to exchange. If these were factory seconds, I would expect as much. But considering they're supposed to be new, I don't think they should have passed through quality control.

Oxfords should be worn with suits, not just lighter colored apparel. It's a formal shoe.

If you have lighter colored suits, they can look great. But if you're mostly in sport coats or casualwear, I think you'd be better off in a more casual shoe.

Example of tan oxfords worn well:

98467893_175580293776229_2779861073695294560_n.jpg

Example of them looking less great

3d7794e9e2d348ccaac8ab7f0cff8a36.jpg

eebbe55e4b6d3bd97283fa9d0349c22a.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads