• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should corpses wear glasses?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
LK, do you think it is true that Funeral Directors dont make passes at a corpse that wears glasses?*

My apologies to Dorothy Parker's corpse.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One has the discretion to wear particularly flamboyant clothing and boutonnieres and handkerchiefs and nobody would ever say anything. And the fact that you're wearing such clothing when operating and subsequently applying cosmetics to the corpse has a certain compelling element about it.

your ideas are intriguig to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Stax

Reaction score
I want my glasses to be placed in the inner breast pocket of my finest suit (as judged by the then living members of the Style Forum), in a bespoke, whiskey hued, shell cordovan spectacle case.

It's time to revise the will.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to attend my funeral in a brand new bespoke suit, the fittings for which will have been done after I pass, because who knows what obstacles rigor mortis poses to a really spot-on fit.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I want to attend my funeral in a brand new bespoke suit, the fittings for which will have been done after I pass, because who knows what obstacles rigor mortis poses to a really spot-on fit.

lol8[1].gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I feel Peter Lorre would make an appropriate model.

Oh hell yeah. One of his last roles was as the sidekick to Vincent Price's graverobbing undertaker in Tales of Terror.

However, for the record, when the good Laszlo Lowenstein did leave this world, he did so without glasses:
2r7y5b7.jpg

(from: http://thanatos.net/galleries/catego...t_id=3&page=12)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what about shoes? are shoes necessary? nobody looks at the deceased feet anyway, unless you're a real sick animal.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a funeral of a student a few days ago. She always came into class happy and eager to learn, despite her age (70's) and health problems.
At the funeral as they invited people up to the casket, I turned out of line and walked out. I knew for me, it wouldn't bring me any closer to closure. I preferred to remember her as I had seen her last, which was walking into class to show me a scrapbook of her artwork through the years.

If I was going to be left with a memory, that was the one I chose to be left with.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Oh hell yeah. One of his last roles was as the sidekick to Vincent Price's graverobbing undertaker in Tales of Terror. However, for the record, when the good Laszlo Lowenstein did leave this world, he did so without glasses:
2r7y5b7.jpg
(from: http://thanatos.net/galleries/catego...t_id=3&page=12)

Interestingly, Paul Lynde did a turn as a funeral home salesman with his usual irreverence. And regarding corpses, a good funeral director or mortician would be able to maintain how the person looked in life using his chemical arts.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
candle2.gif

Well as I say, I was overruled on the glasses issue, while making funeral arrangements for half a dozen or so friends, and relatives. To me, eyeglasses serve to puntucate the macabre spectacle already in place. Ordinarily, we don't sleep with eyeglasses although the older I get, the more likely the possibility. The corpse is lying there dead, eyes closed, wearing glasses. For me, it's bad form.
When I arranged my mother's funeral, we had a closed casket, but an entire ensemble, including shoes, hosiery, and undergarments, was required. Neither my sister nor I, looked at the body; the funeral was private. We have no regrets. Dead bodies serve no purpose to me, closure or otherwise. But that's an individual matter, of course. When my father goes . . . we'll do things the same way. That's assuming he doesn't outlive my sister and me.
Label King, I too think that mortuary would have been a most satisfying endeavor. I like to greet people, during stressful times.
6100re2.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what ever of my carcass can be made use of, should be. then what ever is left should be disposed of in the cheapest way possible.

although, I wouldn't mind if my ashes were baked into bread and fed to birds.

aside from that, no preferences.

I am sorry - I find the wish to view a body very strange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads