Should corpses wear glasses?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ivan Kipling, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Last evening, I attended a wake. As is often the case, the deceased was decked out in eyeglasses. This adornment on a dead body, has puzzled me for decades. Personally, I'm for closed caskets. But if a body is to be displayed, why does it need to 'wear' glasses? I've arranged a number of funerals. In each case, I argued against 'the glasses,' but was overruled. Would you want your loved one, to wear glasses at his or her, funeral? How do you feel about this postmortem accessory? [​IMG]

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

(deleted)

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It strikes me as odd. Generally speaking, I probably would be against it. However, assuming one is going to have an open casket, I can understand how some might favor having the deceased presented - if that's the right word - in the way that people were accustomed to seeing him/her.

4. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I will need to wear glasses in the casket so that people can be sure it's me and not my twin brother.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I will need to wear glasses in the casket so that people can be sure it's me and not my twin brother.

But I thought your brother also wore spectacles?

[​IMG]

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Accuracy matters.

The funeral home put my uncle in a tie -he worked on the railroad, so never wore one.

They combed my dads hair wrong.

Both of these minor inconsistencies were quite disturbing.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I guess it's just because if the person wore them all the time in life, that is how he or she looked to others.

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Personally, I'm against open caskets or bodies in general. I think it's barbaric.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I used to be of that view. Now, I'm not so sure.
    Last year, my wife's grandmother passed away. My wife was very close to her, and through her, my daughter had come to be close to her as well. (Sorry for that crappy sentence, but I'm too lazy to clean it up.) My daughter was fine at the time of the funeral. I was somewhat dubious about bringing her to the open casket wake, but decided it was better to let her have that sense of closure (even though I figured she might not fully appreciate it until much later). She stood for several minutes looking at "Grammy", then touched her hand and face. A little later, she asked to return to the casket to look at it one more time.
    To the extent I've been able to tell, it was very helpful to her in coming to terms with her great-grandmother's death - which is the first time she's had to confront the issue in a meaningful way. Given that it can be a difficult issue for children -- and often adults, for that matter -- to process, I think that seeing Grammy in her new "state" helped her to understand the change that had taken place.
    I would imagine that for some adults as well, the visualization is helpful in achieving a sense of closure, "letting go", etc.

10. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

don't ever let it be said that SF doesn't tackle the urgent, controversial issues of the day...

11. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

But I thought your brother also wore spectacles?

They'd know it wasn't HIS funeral because he's never going to die.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Should corpses wear clothes?

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    They combed my dads hair wrong.
    Agreed.
    My father died whilst on a hunting trip in Canada. When I got to the "scene" late that day, the undertaker had done such a shitty job that I honestly didn't recognize my own dad. It was one of the strangest and most unsettling moments of my life.

I think a corpse has to look like what we remember that person as. And the open casket thing helps immensely with the whole closure thing.

(Sometimes I dream that it wasn't really my father in the casket that day. Which dredges up all sorts of other issues that needn't really see the light of this or any other day.) [​IMG]

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

My father has worn glasses as far back as my first memory and I'm sure it's the same way with most of his friends/relatives/my mother. Still, I think I'd prefer to see him without them.

Wow, that's a morbid thought. Think I'll go watch "Frequency" and cry myself to sleep tonight.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I always thought being a funeral director was rather glamorous in a macabre way.

One has the discretion to wear particularly flamboyant clothing and boutonnieres and handkerchiefs and nobody would ever say anything. And the fact that you're wearing such clothing when operating and subsequently applying cosmetics to the corpse has a certain compelling element about it.