Should corpses wear glasses?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ivan Kipling, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Viewings really are sort of macabre, but the reason people do it is to get a last look at the person you remember, so to me it makes sense to put the glasses on if that's the way the person was most often seen.

I guess by the same token, if you always dressed like a Deadhead, rather than clean you up in a suit and tie, they should probably lay you out unshaven and unbathed in your tie-dyed tee and bandanna.

I want to be harvested for any usable organs, then vaporized without fanfare. I also don't see the point in keeping my ashes in a vase -- I'll just let my S.O. scatter them wherever she thinks is appropriate.

2. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

I'm opposed to veiwings, open caskets, etc. But if you gotta wear glasses, how about Wayfarers.

[​IMG]

Seriously, why not put the glasses in the hand of the deceased, or the coat pocket, or around the neck on a chain? They are supposed to be "sleeping," or "at rest." They did not sleep with their glasses on, did they? I think a "nod" to their glasses wearing persona through the simple presence of the glasses is sufficient.

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I agree with you. At another wake I attended, a man was covered in red peppers; they were his favorite dish.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Personally, I'm against open caskets or bodies in general. I think it's barbaric.

^

I have distant family in the sunny hills and valleys of Tennessee. A child was born, only to die two weeks later. My grandmother went to the wake and said that they took the corps out he casket, dressed it, then took family pictures with it; holding it as if it were still alive.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Used to be very common to photograph dead children. Often it was the only photo the family would have of the child.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They also used to have "spiritual" photos of deceased relatives.

7. Ivan Kipling

DocHolliday, from what I know, that practice is still observed by those who want a lasting remembrance of a stillborn baby.
    Label King, what is a 'spiritual' photograph of the deceased? And in this photograph, does the deceased wear eyeglasses?[​IMG]

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I plan on being cremated. My parents have said to cremate them and go on vacation with the extra cash. It seems pretty silly to bury a dead body in expensive things. Burn 'em, their dead anyway.

My dad either wants to be cremated or buried in a way that his body decomposes as quickly as possible and helps fertilize Mother Nature.

Jon.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

They also used to have "spiritual" photos of deceased relatives.

Even celebrities. I believe spirit photos of Lincoln were popular.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I have a photograph of my great-grandfather that was taken after he died. I believe the photographer came to the funeral parlor to make the exposure. He was photographed so as to appear to be sitting upright and alive. The fact that his eyes are closed (behind his spectacles) seems to have escaped most people's notice.

11. Ivan Kipling

I too, have a post mortem photograph. It's of my great grandmother. Taken in Greece, on the island of Kalymnos. The atmosphere, with even small children dressed in black from shoulder to foot, is dark indeed. My grandmother is staring directly at her mother's dead face. Eyeglasses were not part of Great Grandma's final, regalia.
    Regarding cremation. It's 'against' my religion, but that wouldn't stop me. What I find to be absorbing, is that parapsychologists claim that a body that hasn't been dead 'long enough,' will feel pain. Hair is said to grow after death. Nails, too. Also it's necessary to spend money on a casket, before cremation. Seems like a waste.
    Every day now, I see people in the obits, who are younger than I am. Many of my relatives, died before the age of 51. An uncle. Several cousins. [​IMG]

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Even celebrities. I believe spirit photos of Lincoln were popular.
    The Victorians even had photos of people with fake ectoplasm and such things or floating bodies.

13. vanity

vanity Senior member

In a strange turn of events...guess where I'm going tonite...

A WAKE!!!

Dead body! I'll give a full report on his spectacle-situation.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

And what you wear, of course.

15. Ivan Kipling

In a strange turn of events...guess where I'm going tonite...

A WAKE!!!

Dead body! I'll give a full report on his spectacle-situation.

Enjoy . . . [​IMG]