1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by babygreenspots, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jcriswel

jcriswel Senior member

I don't know what's going on here but it doesn't make any sense to me. Personally, I subscribe to a Japanese men's magazine because all of the US equivalents are sh*t! Here is a recent advertisement from Men's Club. Tweeds and all other fabrics and cuts look outstanding on Japanese men. They are heads and shoulders above the average American male in their style and elegant clothing. What is going on with this thread?

[​IMG]

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1.

Too much overthinking going on in this thread.

+1. When did "third world" make its way onto the verboten list?

3. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

+1.

When did "third world" make its way onto the verboten list?

Huh?

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Asians should wear kimonos or Mao suits. Tweed, never.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I didn't know "third world" was on the verboten list. Doesn't surprise me. Practically everything ends up there! I suppose it has undergone a shift in meaning over the years. As I recall its origins, it was coined by Sukarno in which he differentiated between the capitalistic "First World," the communist "Second World," with the neutral, non-aligned countries like his Indonesia forming the the "Third World." I think the term has morphed to mean any poor, non-white country and its people, which isn't the way it started out. Since the Second World has largely vanished except for China, Cuba, North Korean and Vietnam (and maybe Belarus and one of two others), I suppose it has become meaningless in its original sense.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Asians should wear kimonos or Mao suits. Tweed, never.

Well. when it comes down to it, isn't the kimono the ultimate expression of the drape cut and natural shoulder?

7. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I don't know what's going on here but it doesn't make any sense to me. Personally, I subscribe to a Japanese men's magazine because all of the US equivalents are sh*t! Here is a recent advertisement from Men's Club. Tweeds and all other fabrics and cuts look outstanding on Japanese men. They are heads and shoulders above the average American male in their style and elegant clothing. What is going on with this thread?
    Fineboys+ Suits is a better representative of what Japanese men wear in real life rather than what the internet thinks they do. Men's Ex is for the older crowd ime. [​IMG] Also - Japanese people don't all look like the magazines!

8. jcriswel

jcriswel Senior member

+1.

When did "third world" make its way onto the verboten list?

I also wonder about your terminology. How can you consider Japan third world? They think of the US as a colony of Japan. We provide raw materials and labor for their sophisticated and technologically advanced products. Further, the US is an excellent market for the fruits of their technical and economic superiority, i.e. a colony. Where does third world factor into the equation?

jcriswel

9. Manton

Well. when it comes down to it, isn't the kimono the ultimate expression of the drape cut and natural shoulder?

Now you are just trolling. For shame.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also wonder about your terminology. How can you consider Japan third world? They think of the US as a colony of Japan. We provide raw materials and labor for their sophisticated and technologically advanced products. Further, the US is an excellent market for the fruits of their technical and economic superiority, i.e. a colony. Where does third world factor into the equation?

jcriswel

I don't see where Matt called Japan a third-world country.

Now you are just trolling. For shame.

I was just sayin'.

11. Manton

I don't see where Matt called Japan a third-world country.
    If "third world" means "wierd and space age" then it is.

12. itsstillmatt

Huh?

I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking.

I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)

jcriswel

Umm. What? I was asking about the term in general. I didn't say Japan was third world.

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

@ rjbearhugman

Aren't Gujarati people technically of Persian stock ?

[​IMG]

14. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Also - Japanese people don't all look like the magazines!

We get it already.

15. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

We get it already.
    If only.

16. jcriswel

jcriswel Senior member

I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking.

I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)

Umm. What? I was asking about the term in general. I didn't say Japan was third world.

Japan is in Asia!

17. itsstillmatt

Japan is in Asia!
    Did I say all Asian countries were third world [​IMG]. I simply asked about the term, since other recently disallowed terms were being discussed.

18. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

@ rjbearhugman

Aren't Gujarati people technically of Persian stock ?

Sigh.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking. I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)
    What kind of fascistic dinner parties do you go to? I recently said Oriental, and Negro in polite circumstances. I think some blanched, but they were intimidated by me being well-dressed to counter any response.

20. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

The tweed and flannel season in Hong Kong is short by N.American standards. Heavier fabrics are, in fact, even more appropriate during December-February in HK than in the NE USA for the simple reason that HK buildings don't have central heat. Temps in HK never dip below 40F but sitting in your office at 45 degrees makes heavy wool a necessity.