• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

short-sleeved polos under summer sportscoats?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear short-sleeved polos under summer sportscoats, or do you think it's crass? What about on holiday in beach resorts? I think it's tolerable. I would never wear a short sleeved shirt with a coat and tie though (of course). Most days I probably wouldn't even wear a short-sleeved sport shirt uder a sportscoat, but somehow I think that polos are tolerable--perhaps because they shouldn't be worn under coats anyway, so the look is deliberatly negligent, a bit like wearing a t-shirt under a coat. What do you think?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't bring a jacket to a beach resort, for one.

Eccentric

Reaction score
It's not a look I like. Same argument as against polos in general: they don't do anything a nicely fitting shirt does't do better.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It works, especially if you are going to a resort and plan to do some golfing.

Shirt, tie, jacket is tough when its 90+ degrees out mid day.

But a polo shirt and a linen sportcoat, with a pair of white cotton shorts, not bad.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like polos and were them often in summer, but never under a blazer or odd jacket.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a light blue cotton Isaia jacket with white buttons. I have worn it in warm weather resorts with a plain white polo and it looks great and feels good too.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
BTW: why are there so many threads on polo shirts lately?

Er... because it's getting warm? And maybe because of the 80's revival?

Anyway, the issue is not whether polos work under coats, but whether short sleeved polos do. I would easily wear a long-sleeved polo even under a suit (but not a worsted one).

contaygious

Reaction score
I'd like to know too. I have worn short sleeve polos under a blazer before is that not acceptable?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the seersucker pants and cotton madras jacket. A colleague asked me how I enjoyed my morning on the yacht...
lol8[1].gif

20080514-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads