• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping for loafers and other classic menswear shoes in New York in 2019

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, in NYC for Moulin Rouge tonight. Got here early to hit some stores.

Barneys - kind of boring. Mostly because I’m getting menswear-sated. Do not need any suits, sport coats, ties, scarves, etc.

C&J - could not get decent fit in Boston loafers. Need a dress pair in black and annoyed that Harvard no longer made in black. My suede Harvard’s fit like bespoke. Wifey annoyed that their women’s shoes were too narrow.

JM Weston - multiple widths (very impressive) but no good fits. Argh 2.0 Wifey very impressed with their women’s shoes but they were for display only. Have to go Paris for those. French dorks. Sell your stupid lady’s shoes here.

The Armoury - tomorrow after High Line walk. Will try their new loafers.

Anyway, lovely weather. May hit Drake’s as well tomorrow but their last three tranches of new arrivals were giggle-inducing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, Carmina didn’t fit either. Think I’m going to have to go MTO with C&J.

What’s a guy gotta do to get loafers that fit?

Last chance at the Armoury tomorrow.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, in NYC for Moulin Rouge tonight. Got here early to hit some stores.

Barneys - kind of boring. Mostly because I’m getting menswear-sated. Do not need any suits, sport coats, ties, scarves, etc.

C&J - could not get decent fit in Boston loafers. Need a dress pair in black and annoyed that Harvard no longer made in black. My suede Harvard’s fit like bespoke. Wifey annoyed that their women’s shoes were too narrow.

JM Weston - multiple widths (very impressive) but no good fits. Argh 2.0 Wifey very impressed with their women’s shoes but they were for display only. Have to go Paris for those. French dorks. Sell your stupid lady’s shoes here.

The Armoury - tomorrow after High Line walk. Will try their new loafers.

Anyway, lovely weather. May hit Drake’s as well tomorrow but their last three tranches of new arrivals were giggle-inducing.
@smittycl
Go to Drakes and get one of those Winter cotton suits. Didn’t we learn all the cool kids wear them?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, as a big fan of the movie I can honestly say the broadway version of Moulin Rouge was terrible. Unconvincing acting, superficial love story, just a mess basically. The movie spoke to me but this production, for all its exuberance and bombast, rang hollow.

Quite possibly generational as I didn’t like the updated soundtrack apart from the Stone’s songs they couldn’t get for the movie but now had access to. The Stone’s evil manager denied earlier requests but politely died so the songs were allowed.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, Carmina didn’t fit either. Think I’m going to have to go MTO with C&J.

What’s a guy gotta do to get loafers that fit?

Last chance at the Armoury tomorrow.

Tell me about it, can’t tell you how much money I lost on loafer (ie buy them then sell later), that includes Carmina/CJ/Alden, shell, calf, the only loafer I own now is a CJ Sydney on 341... I want to try Luf and Tong though but feel like a decent chance of throwing away money again...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it, can’t tell you how much money I lost on loafer (ie buy them then sell later), that includes Carmina/CJ/Alden, shell, calf, the only loafer I own now is a CJ Sydney on 341... I want to try Luf and Tong though but feel like a decent chance of throwing away money again...
I bought Sydney’s here last year but ended up sending them to LuxeSwap after 3 wears. Ugh! They were too narrow. Harvard I and II fit very well, though.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
grant stone loafers are really nice. they don't have the brand equity of other companies and they're made in china, so those could be deal breakers for some people.

I want to give grant stone a try but feel like they might be the Alden fit (and Alden hasn’t been that good to me across last)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to give grant stone a try but feel like they might be the Alden fit (and Alden hasn’t been that good to me across last)
I have one pair of Alden’s casual soft calf loafers. They fit reasonably well but not perfectly. May have to try a dress version if other makers don’t work out.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought Sydney’s here last year but ended up sending them to LuxeSwap after 3 wears. Ugh! They were too narrow. Harvard I and II fit very well, though.
Edward Green.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
English shoes in general doesn’t fit me that well, too tight in toe box

Edit, and English maker in general has stupid pricing for changing width, and when you change width then heel start to slip...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Day 2 in NYC. Spectacular day to walk the High Line and walk around Chelsea and the Village.

0A759B48-9015-4FBE-9E47-38ABB0552A0F.jpeg

First time at the Armoury! Chatted with Daniel and his colleague. Loafers were quite nice but no joy on a good fit.

1446803A-EFC2-4465-9414-31C4F7BBBC75.jpeg

Tried on the Ascot Chang seersucker Jacket. I have a suit in this LP fabric. Very nice but more of a shirt than a jacket. Large was too tight in the shoulder and they were out of XL. On the plus side my wife grabbed a smashing canary yellow umbrella. Stylish and she’ll never get hit by a car carrying it. ?

Next up: Drake’s which is annoyingly not open until 2:00PM today.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads