• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping for loafers and other classic menswear shoes in New York in 2019

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got some Church's Tassel loafers that are a good fit. Think they do Pennies too.
Curiously i find Church's often underrated on SF.
Too bad you couldnt find Weston 180 that were a good fit. Best Penny loafers i ever had.

I should have gone there when I was in Paris back in the Spring! Weston salesmen was great but I just couldn’t get a fit. My feet were worked
over pretty hard in the Army.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and just realized Citishoes closed a while back otherwise they also carried EG..., and if you have narrow foot, check out Barney’s and Ralph Lauren for their whatever reason somewhat narrower fit English shoes...

I have wide feet and narrow ankles. C&J Harvard’s in 11.5 US seem to be the answer if only they made them in more leathers.

I have a pair of Alden soft calf loafers in 11 B/D US that work. They are a bit too casual which is why I’m searching for a dressier pair.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I typed that last comment forgetting I was wearing Paul Stuart shirt and pants...
Haha. I figured.

I don’t own EG loafers, but the models look great for the most part.

My favorite smart loafers are from the old Grenson Masterpiece for Paul Stuart line.

I love the JM Weston 180s, but I could never get the fit to work either. Too bad.

Same with the Lobb Lopez, which is probably too casual for your purposes. Sadly, the last did not work for me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. I figured.

I don’t own EG loafers, but the models look great for the most part.

My favorite smart loafers are from the old Grenson Masterpiece for Paul Stuart line.

I love the JM Weston 180s, but I could never get the fit to work either. Too bad.

Same with the Lobb Lopez, which is probably too casual for your purposes. Sadly, the last did not work for me.
I guess life wouldn’t be as fun if we all got exactly what we wanted every time. The search continues!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of Paul Stuart, still some good stuff on sale (sports coat), though Phineas Cole sizing is kind inconsistent now given they got Samuelson, two Italian maker, one American... so harder to just blind order...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so apparently Ben Silver has C&J Harvard’s in multiple leathers but main C&J does not! Do they make these just for Ben Silver? Old stockage? Huh. Excellent!

papado

Reaction score
Okay, so apparently Ben Silver has C&J Harvard’s in multiple leathers but main C&J does not! Do they make these just for Ben Silver? Old stockage? Huh. Excellent!

I think Ben Silver has their own stock run--you'll see other handgrades and similar in colors/models you never see on C&J's website

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Ben Silver has their own stock run--you'll see other handgrades and similar in colors/models you never see on C&J's website

+1, just make sure you watch out the last though

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it correct to assume that the Harvard's made for Ben Silver use the same last as the Harvard's on C&J's website?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so Ben Silver's C&J Harvard are on Last 314. Same as the Boston but unlined. My Harvard II's in suede are Last 376.

Think I will give Ben Silver a shot as I can always return them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success! Got my C&J Harvard’s in dark brown cordovan today. The 314 last fits well so I can order the black version from Ben Silver without worry.

This was a lot of angst over shoes. Definite First World issue. Thanks to all for the input!

BC1A560F-0C1D-47F2-B135-C7B65DCF6C2B.jpeg

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess life wouldn’t be as fun if we all got exactly what we wanted every time. The search continues!
What about John Lobb? I know I'm too late and maybe somebody else mentioned the obvious but why did you not check for Lopez loafers at least?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than I want to pay for a shoe really. I put mine through their paces. May go JL or EG someday!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads