1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shop Assistant asked if I was sweaty

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tommib, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

[​IMG]

And the winner of the Verb of the Year Award goes to...!

Well now, that's different. Plenty of normal people buy shirts on eBay (though I haven't, at least not yet). Only fetishists buy used undies (count me out there, too).

Well, eBay's a different animal entirely. People don't have the same freshness expectation buying something from eBay as they would if they bought it from a retail store.

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

At Charles Tyrwhitt (among other places), they don't let you try on the shirt you want to buy at all. Instead, they give you a sample, and you have to trust them when they say the fit will be the same.

3. itsmeJT

itsmeJT Active Member

that shit is funny to me! [​IMG]

4. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

At Charles Tyrwhitt (among other places), they don't let you try on the shirt you want to buy at all. Instead, they give you a sample, and you have to trust them when they say the fit will be the same.

Not ideal, but at least more reasonable than refusing to let someone try on a shirt.

5. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I would never let a customer try on a shirt without an undershirt on. Ugh.

Would you make them prove to you they were wearing an undershirt? I'm just not sure how you politely enforce this policy.

6. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Actually, this might be better provided the sample has been laundered a few times.

7. tommib

tommib Senior member

Hmmm, well anyway I wasn't particularly sweaty. I see the point, its just that I've never been asked that before and just thought it was rather an offensive question. He could have had a shirt for trying on available as long as the cut was the same, or measured me etc. Although the thought of having to try on a special demo shirt that hasn't been laundered the past few weeks doesn't especially appeal to me either.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you were sweaty enough for it to be a problem, it would have been obvious enough where he wouldn't have had to ask.

This same merchant could actually do more damage to their garments leaving them in a shop window exposed to the sun.

9. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Would you make them prove to you they were wearing an undershirt? I'm just not sure how you politely enforce this policy.

You just ask them.

10. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

You just ask them.

That's sort of like asking a customer if they are wearing boxers or briefs. No matter how practical, this is just rude. If it's a store policy, they should post some sort of discrete sign in the dressing room area.

11. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

That's sort of like asking a customer if they are wearing boxers or briefs.

It's nothing at all like asking whether someone is wearing boxers or briefs -- why on earth would that be relevant?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I would never let a customer try on a shirt without an undershirt on. Ugh.

Are you a store owner or a sales associate?

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It's nothing at all like asking whether someone is wearing boxers or briefs -- why on earth would that be relevant?
    Well, some might think that if the customer wishes to try on pants, it's relevant whether they are wearing one or the other - even if it doesn't matter which.

14. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Meaning that this is also a personal question that is none of the sales person's business.

15. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

Well, some might think that if the customer wishes to try on pants, it's relevant whether they are wearing one or the other - even if it doesn't matter which.

Maybe a better question would be "are you wearing underwear" at all? I knew several folks who would "let their boys run free" during my college years.

16. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Are you a store owner or a sales associate?

?
    Neither.

17. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

It's probably relevant whether they are wearing underwear -- I would think you would assume that to be the case, though it may well not be. It would be rude to ask whether they are wearing underwear because the common presumption is that any reasonable facsimile of a gentleman would be, particularly if he expects to try on a pair of pants in a shop. Whereas it's quite common and acceptable for a man not to wear an undershirt, so it's hardly rude to ask whether someone is wearing one when he makes a request to try on a shirt that someone other customer may wish to try on or buy in the future. It's certainly far more polite to insist that everyone wear an undershirt than to try to assess on an individual basis whether a particular person or another exceeds the acceptable threshold of moisture.

18. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Meaning that this is also a personal question that is none of the sales person's business.

It's not a casual inquiry out of curiosity. It's directly relevant given that the customer is asking to try on a shirt. Don't be difficult. [​IMG]

19. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior member

Maybe they could give all the customers towels so they can dry themselves before they try on the shirts.

20. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

This is easily solved. A locker room with showers should be provided for those who wish to try on a shirt...