• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: brown top-sider combination

shqiptar

Reaction score
I've seen these top-siders for sale and I want some ideas on what kind of clothes should go with them. Here is the link: http://www.sperrytopsider.com/Style.asp?code=1003 Some of my own observations about them I've noticed that top-siders are not frequently used here in North America. Having lived in Europe for most of my life, I've seen them worn by a lot of europian men. They wear them usually evernings (summer, spirng and autumn), and week-ends. They wear them usually with khakis/chinos and jeans. They are worn by men of all ages. It's very common that a lot of young men in their early twenties wear them with chinos, jeans, or shorts. In some of the mediterrenian countries, they even go further by wearing them without socks. Here in North America it is very unusual. Now, your thoughts gentlmen.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I don't think it's unusual at all to seem men in North America wearing top-siders. They're certainly a classic American casual shoe. I would think the preference would be no socks. I generally think Sperry makes a decent knock about shoe, although I prefer to get them on sale.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had some in high school. My thoughts are that in the US they will be common among the preppier dressers. I can't say whether they might be common in Canada. I used to wear them with chinos and jeans, and they held up pretty well. They are murder on your feet if you are doing any walking, though. I had these before I had a car, so that stands out in my mind.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair that i wore just yesterday with jeans. mine are made by Bass. they must be a couple years old by now. a few weeks ago they got guacamole splashed on them so i recently cleaned them up with saddle soap and re-polished them with neutral polish - they look nice once again.

it's a bit like wearing a baseball glove on your foot. very comfortable and relaxed. i actually do a good bit of walking in mine, but i have a birkenstock 'orthotic'-style insert that i use because my feet are flat.

more often than not i wear them without socks.

/andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads