1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe trees

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TCN, Jul 7, 2004.

1. TCN

TCN Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good online or phone/mail order source for very good quality "aftermarket" shoe-trees?

I have been using both the Allen Edmonds and Johnston & Murphy full foot sprung with the little gold knob to date, but was curious about other options, as several of the Allen Edmonds/Woodlore mechanisms have jammed, and they don't fit loafers well. My local J&M store no longer stocks the gold knobbed ones (sort of a brushed silver now).

Just curious if there are some better options out there that some of you may have found.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've seen (and bought) many on EBay.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

4. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

Brooks Brothers had them on sale on-line for about $18 - I think they still might be available.

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

I have a pair of those Woodlore shoe trees. It's great cedar, but the heels are too narrow.

6. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

I grabbed a couple pair of the Brooks Brothers trees at $18 bucks a couple of weeks ago; they're made by Rochester and feature a split toe that I think works better in my loafers than the solid-toe kind. I was on the point of buying some Rochesters from this site when somebody here posted about the BBs.

7. adirondaki

adirondaki Member

The Brooks shoe trees don't appear to be on sale anymore. Eighteen dollars would be a good price for those shoe trees (which look like the shoe trees Alden gives you every time you send in your shoes for a factory restoration).

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Last month, I ordered what I was described to me as a "fully lasted" pair of beech shoe trees from C&J. for 40 pounds. Plus another 24 pounds shipping. When these $125 shoe trees arrived, I was thrilled to discover: 1) They weren't even fully lasted, and were in fact sprung; 2) They didn't even fit my C&Js, even after I had a five minute conversation with the guy at C&J to make sure the size was right. Needless to say, I shipped them back to C&J. Did my research, decided that I didn't need lasted shoe trees after all (even at $60 from Shipton) and decided that cedar was the way to go, not beech. The "Ultimate" trees available from Rochester are the best ones out there. They fill the entire shoe, including the heel and the top of the shoe. And at $30, they are a better deal than other cedar trees. On other sites, these same "Ultimate" trees cost $45. Montecristo#4