• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Stores in Tokyo?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to Tokyo for about a week later this month. Can anyone be so kind as to offer suggestions on shoe stores I should check out? I'll be in Paris and Budapest prior to Japan and optimistically plan to pick up some Crockett and Jones and Vass shoes. I may have enough credit on the credit card to add another pair of shoes in the 500 USD range. If you also happen to have the exact address or any info that will help me locate the store easier, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i have always thought shoes in tokyo are more expensive than that in budapest, and perhaps paris.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
i have always thought shoes in tokyo are more expensive than that in budapest, and perhaps paris.
You're probably right, but I figure there must be some stores in Japan carrying shoes I may not find in Europe, and definitely not in the states, that won't be outrageously expensive. I might be right about the first part, but terribly mistaken about the second.

pejsek

Reaction score
There is a lot of truly inspired shoe-making going on in Japan these days. For a little background you might take a look at the post I started under the title "The Centipede Has Landed...." You will probably have to go a little above the 500 USD level, but you can certainly get some great classically-inspired shoes that you won't find anywhere else. Some of my current favorites in the 90,000 yen range would be:

1. 'Cascade' brown double monk by Koji Takano (available at Trading Post):

http://www.lifegear-tradingpost.com/...no/cascade.htm

2. chisel-toe brogue by Reiko Tukui for Sinner (this is the one I would get for myself; thanks again, centipede!):

http://www.sinner.jp/sample/design-o..._12/index.html

Some of our Japanese members might be able to give you some more specific advice about shops and sales. But don't leave Japan without a fine pair of new shoes.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I think it might be tough to find something in Japan that you can' t find for less elsewhere.

Yanko is pretty abundant in Japan. I belive they go for Y40,000 yen or so. You may see them, as well as many other shoes, at Isetan Men's in Shinjuku.

Guild of Crafts is a ready to wear/bespoke hometown favorite that, as far as I know, is not available overseas. http://www.footwear.co.jp/

I suspect that you would have a hard time buying something there for less than $500. Trading Post carries some of their wares under the Hall & Marks label.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2. chisel-toe brogue by Reiko Tukui for Sinner (this is the one I would get for myself; thanks again, centipede!):

http://www.sinner.jp/sample/design-o..._12/index.html
these are definatly worth the cash so sexy! i think you would be the envy of a lot esp this board!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you order online or over the phone from them?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please note that the Sinner shop is in Kyoto, not Tokyo. I will probably be in Kyoto next month, I will try to swing by there.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be able to make it to Kyoto during that week. Unfortunately, neither my Mozilla or Explorer browser has the Japan language pack installed - not that I can read Japanese in the first place. Can someone please post the contact information/address of the store? I now really want these shoes: http://www.sinner.jp/sample/design-o..._12/index.html Thanks!

pejsek

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, Alter. I'm (unfortunately) really only looking at pictures here and wouldn't have known that Sinner is in Kyoto. I think it would be great if you could take a look at the shop. The clothes look interesting too. If you get a chance, tell us what you find. Same with you, teddyriley. Both the bespoke and rtw shoes look great on the site; I'd be curious to know how they strike s.one in person (or, better yet, what they're like on an actual foot).
There's an email contact on the site. I think it might be [email protected], but don't hold me to that.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Some of the Berluti shops are quite nice. Found some superb cashmere socks on sale there. I think there are some 3-4 stores. Larger American sizes can be difficult to secure sometimes...

I'm sure I'll be able to make it to Kyoto during that week.
Take the bullet train there (Shinbasa?) - it is an experience and the Kyoto train station is cool modern architecture. Also, don't miss the museums in Kyoto...very rich history.

kcheng

Reaction score
I'm making a trip to Tokyo soon and was wondering if anyone had managed to get a pair of Guild of Crafts bespokes completed within a week?
How about the other shoe brands out there?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have never looked into it, but a bespoke pair in a week might be too tight. They do have ready to wear shoes, though.

kcheng

Reaction score
I just got an email back from Guild of Crafts, who, as you rightly point out takes about 3 months for the finished product to come about.

I guess I will have to settle for the RTW shoes this time around!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads