• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe options with a Tuxedo

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing some formal pumps and am drawn to velvet rather than patent. However, I am curious to know, from the pump-wearing forumites; when going to a formal event where you'll have to do at least a bit of outdoor walking, do the pumps hold up as well as regular shoes, like a patent balmoral?

Just thinking about situations where I might be going to a black tie event here in San Francisco where I would dress at home, take a cab to the destination and perhaps have to walk a city block or two in the process of getting from here to there. In a different situation, say if I was staying in a hotel in another city and attending an event in the hotel, I wouldn't worry about it since I'd be indoors. Or if it was a private party at a friend's house, I could wear regular black bals for transit, then switch to the slippers upon arrival.

Any first-hand opinions about wearing the pumps during pre/post-event activities, such as getting to and fro?

Fnarf

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from my pretty horrible patent slipons (which don't even have the advantage of fitting properly), and I'm very attracted to the classic patent opera pump with the bow. (If you think these shoes are unmanly, you're calling Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin unmanly, which isn't a very smart thing to do; they are EXTRAORDINARILY manly, and convey much more masculine confidence than even the studliest cowboy boots).

However, in poking around I've discovered these really nice suede slippers, also with a bow. What do you think? Could I get away with these under my tux?

http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/l...rs-2362-0.html

(suede in upper right, patent on the right in the second row).

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmh
What is the maker and source for these pumps, please?

http://www.vivre.com/control/product...mpaign=Product

They are Christian Louboutins, red sole and all
smile.gif

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the Shipton & Heneage Paris Piccadilly Patent adelaides and quite like them. I will shoot pics and post later.

wmb

Reaction score
brooks brothers sells a velvet slipper that has a leather soul and heel and could easily work as a tux shoe/pump. It is very reasonably priced, I think under $175 even though it is made in England...(!)

Also, you dont need to get a patent leather shoe -- I think that a smooth calf plain lace shoe works, then you can use it with suits as well if you dont use the tux a lot...

Frogger42

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about Shipton and Heneage Monogrammed velvet slippers for a while. They offer a good value, but with the pound where it is, it appears US customers are at a disadvantage to the tune of $100. Are prices negotiable, and can anyone speak to the quality? Are there any other alternatives for monogrammed pumps?

Frogger42

Reaction score
Tried to, but they dont appear to have a ship to USA, then you get into VAT, think I might call them tommorrow

Fnarf

Reaction score
Disadvantage? The pound is incredibly low right now. The dollar is low against the Euro but very strong against the pound. The Shipton and Heneage shoes are at least $50 less to Americans than they were just a few months ago.

Frogger42

Reaction score
Fnarf we are in agreement, the USA customer site has prices in USD that do not float with the exchange rate, so we are at a disadvantage under the presumption they only conduct business through their USA site.

Fnarf

Reaction score
Oh, my mistake! I didn't even know they had a USA site. I've been looking at the UK site the whole time.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this was brought back again... it is very informative... I should tell you what I did.

I found a cheap patent leather Balmoral at Zara on sale for $49.99. They look good and are very comfortable for a cheap shoe. Lets be honest, I may wear the tux and the shoes a few times a year, at most, so they're good enough for the time being.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, if youre not going to be going to too many formal events spending a lot doesn't make too much sense. Ive seen some pretty nice modern "throw away" shoes from zara. They wouldnt last more than a season, but youd probably be bored with them by then...

Fnarf

Reaction score
Someone at Shipton has confirmed that they want US customers to use their US website, which means paying a hefty premium over their UK prices. Their patent leather slipper is GBP 129 on the UK site, which converts to about USD 180 today, while the same shoe is USD 245 on the American site.

I have found Broadland slippers, at http://www.shipton-usa.com/leather-s...rs-2362-0.html, who make a nice-looking evening pump in patent or plain calf, for GBP 90. I have inquired whether they ship to the US, and will let you know here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics