• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe fit poll

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know, Doc. I have wondered the same (especially for those bloody RM Williams).

P.s. I don't see a poll.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a fairly snug fit. I don't like any sloppiness through the ball of the foot, and I don't like heel slippage at all, which is why I am so turned off the new A-E #2 last and their new #8. Really, for me to like a shoe, it has to be "just right" in terms of fit.

For an outdoor boot I am likely to in for miles and wear with heavier socks, I prefer a degree of initial looseness to accommodate foot swelling.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i am more inclined to a slight looser shoe where i can see approx. less than 1/4 inch gap at my heel to shoe heel.
i usually wear alot of italianate shoes so i am used to the elongated shoebox where i tend to have 1-1.75 inches of extra space in front of my shoes.

but always the ball of my feet and arch land correctly in all my shoes.

plus if i had the choice between two sizes (usually 9.5 or 10) that both fit me very well i will go for the larger one, i like the look of a slightly larger shoe on me, more substantial and commanding.

pkincy

Reaction score
I have found it to be very much a product of the maker.

My EGs start out near painfully tite but break in to a socklike second skin comfortable fit.

My JLs fit better (8000 and 8695 lasts) but never break in to that second skin EG comfort but still are very ez to wear and obviously fit me well.

My Bontoni's haven't even been worn yet, but I think will be much like the JLs.

My Polo C&Js are a bit tite under the vamp and so far haven't stretched much but still are very wearable for a good 12 hour day, but not quite as comfortable as the above. My C&J 337 Weymouth are a bit loose but very comfortable and don't slip. I do find the C&J as stiff a shoe as I buy and do take a bit of time to break in.

My Barker Blacks are like slippers out of the box.

My Mantellassi's are in the Barker Black category for immediate fit.

I must add this weekends purchase of the Gucci wholecut fit in the Barker Black comfort category out of the box. I wore them 2 days in a row they felt so good immediately and I never do that.

My AEs are pretty good out of the box but never break in to be as comfortable as a better shoe does.

My Aldens are much like the AEs but take a bit longer to break in as they seem stiffer.

Perry

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A snug but never painful fit is what I aim for when buying new shoes. Occasionally I've bought a pair that turned out to chafe a tiny bit the first couple of wears. But that's it. I wouldn't buy anything that was genuinely painful to wear.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
pkincy, just asking here, but do you think maybe you may need to size half down on your EGs and/or Lobbs?

I definitely couldn't size down in the EGs or Lobbs. Both are a bit tite on my larger left foot curling my small toe a bit under its neighbor. Interestingly enough I was able to find a pair of 8000 last JLs from the Classic line (Adelaides) in left 9E and right my size (8.5E) and that is really what I need.

So if I could get EGs or JLs in 9E/8.5E pairs i would love it.

For my foot the higher volume available under the vamp of the Barker Black and the Mantellassi takes care of my high instep and larger left foot challenges.

Now I would size down a 1/2 size (to 8E) if I bought a JL in the 7000 last and although I am happy with the Weymouth fit I do believe that I could have made an 8E work in that shoe also.

I don't believe there is any substitute for trying these shoes on. So I have resorted to many trips to SF or LA to do so and buy or try on so I can buy at discount from other sources. Other geographic areas could use NY as a shoe fitting destination.

As a further aside, I don't try anything on at a place I haven't bought at least one pair of high end shoes at retail. I figure I owe the store at least that much.

Perry

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I have narrow feet, and for years I had to endure a lot of floppy shoes in order to get the length that I needed. I bought a lof of sneakers with fabric uppers that I could cinch to compensate for the looseness.

After I got old enough to buy shoes I coldn't outgrow, I started shopping at places that sold narrow shoes. I learned that my feet were two different sizes and that I was generally buying my shoes too large. I didn't know this before, but it's a helpful thing to know. That's why I always preach to newbies about going to a good shoe store and periodiaclly getting your feet measured.

Depending on who makes them, a 'narrow' shoe can either been painfully tight or unconfortably floppy. I try for something in between, something where my heel doesn't immediately slip, but yet has enough room in the toes. It's a hard fit to achieve, and I've turned away dozens of shoes I liked because they didn't have that fit, but I haven't had to throw away a pair of shoes due to fit issues in years.

What's kind of bothersome to me is how many people, escpecially younger ones, are buying shoes that don't fit, intentionnally or otherwise. From what I can tell, floopy shoes are in vogue, but I can't imagine this will bode well for their foot health in the long run.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
I learned that my feet were two different sizes and that I was generally buying my shoes too large. I didn't know this before, but it's a helpful thing to know. That's why I always preach to newbies about going to a good shoe store and periodiaclly getting your feet measured.

This is essentially my problem too. One foot is slightly wider than the other, and the widest point is at my toes. As such, I always have trouble judging just how tight a pair of shoes will be. "Snug" in the store can turn out to be very painful at the end of a long day. The small toe is just such a sensitive area of the foot.

It's interesting to see the array of votes in the poll. I'd like to know more about why people buy shoes that fit the way they do. In particular, I'd like to hear from those who selected the "tight" option -- how often do those shoes turn out to be too tight?

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is essentially my problem too. One foot is slightly wider than the other, and the widest point is at my toes. As such, I always have trouble judging just how tight a pair of shoes will be. "Snug" in the store can turn out to be very painful at the end of a long day. The small toe is just such a sensitive area of the foot.
You definately don't want your toes crushed, Doc. A lot of times it's safer to err on the side of the wider and fill in space as needed. Most shoe shops can add in pads to compensate for excess width, or you can pick up similar items at a discount or drug store, though they don't adhere as well.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Maybe this deserves its own thread?) Those of you who wear over-the-counter (ie: not MTM or bespoke) orthotic (ie: not for padding) insoles, what kind do you wear and how much does it change your shoe size? In my casual shoes I replace (often forcibly) the insole with Superfeet Green, and I can't live without the arch support. But I'm looking to start my nice shoe collection and after trying some AEs on, it's clear that I need thinner insoles. My plan is to sit down in a store and try on each last with Superfeet Black and 3/4 on top of the built-in leather insoles. (Then I'm hoping I can use this forum to extrapolate my size in other brands.)

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Sometimes the difference in what fits and what doesn't can be solved with a thin leather insole to lessen or eliminate slippage. I'm sure they're available at other places, but Nordstrom sells them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads