• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe damage assessment

the_drizzle

Reaction score
I posted this on the BB sales thread but I want to get some more opinions.

I need some advice assessing the damage on these BB shoes.
(http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=)

This is from one wear with about 15 minutes walking in the rain:

dsc00706zs.jpg

dsc00707de.jpg

dsc00708qh.jpg

dsc00709lh.jpg

dsc00710ix.jpg

dsc00711p.jpg

dsc00712y.jpg

dsc00713mx.jpg

dsc00714po.jpg

I'm primarily concerned with the wear on the toe as it seems that some of the leather is peeling.

In the other thread most people were surprised at the amount of deterioration in such a short period of time while one individual said it was superficial.

Is this damage abnormal and sufficient to warrant an exchange?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you pull a Jesus and walk on water with a new pair of shoes? :eek:

Do they fit properly or you tend to drag your feet when you walk?

Try for an exchange, if it fails, just let it dry and cement glue it together.

the_drizzle

Reaction score

Why did you pull a Jesus and walk on water with a new pair of shoes? :eek:

Do they fit properly or you tend to drag your feet when you walk?

Try for an exchange, if it fails, just let it dry and cement glue it together.

They fit properly.

It wasn't raining hard and my other pairs of shoes have gone through far worse without this much damage.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No exchange is necessary. Sorry but this was your own fault and not faulty manufacturing.
Don't be concerned with the current status of your shoes. They'll take a lot of hell yet to come.
You should never wear leather soled shoes in bad weather to begin with. That is what rubber soles are for.
If caught in the rain, lay the shoes on some newspaper to help wick away the moisture from the soles.
Very loosely stuff newspaper into the shoes as well.
Next morning, remove the newspaper from inside and insert proper wooden shoe trees (untreated and unfinished cedar) into them for at least 24 hours. Let the soles rest upon fresh newspaper.
Remove trees after 24 hours and give them another overnight to further ventilate and dry.
As far as your shoes are concerned, the soles look about right for having been soaked.
It doesn't take long does it.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, I might have to disagree.

I've worn my AE clifton beaters with the leather sole through some very serious rain storms and the soles look nothing like that with the unsightly peeling. So less you literally drag the forefront of your foot along the ground, this may be some sort of manufacturing issue combined with a lot of water.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Magnanni leather soled shoes that aren't really high quality, got caught in the rain a few times with them and they don't look like this at all. Wet leather soles will always deteriorate to some degree, but this is too much for 15 minutes...

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, rain / nasty weather should not do such damage to the soles. Looks like you were sliding up and down the asphalt. Ask for a refund. If all else fails, get the resoled.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The area of leather that is peeling there was glued in place after the soles were channel welted. After allowing the shoes to dry, take them to a cobbler and have him reglue that area. Not such a big deal.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take them back to Brooks and they will replace or refund. NORE nailed it - Yes you had them in the rain, but no, that's not acceptable wear.

And this:

You should never wear leather soled shoes in bad weather to begin with. That is what rubber soles are for.

is misleading and misguided.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And this:

is misleading and misguided.

+1. I wear leather-soled shoes in the rain and snow all the time. Maybe they will wear down a tiny bit faster than if I only wore them in the dry, but they're certainly not being spontaneously destroyed by a bit of water.

the_drizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone.

One more question I have is whether this is simply superficial damage or if something like this will adversely affect the durability of the soles.

And for clarification, the shoes were not soaked (my feet were completely dry). The ground was wet when I was walking and there was only a bit of a drizzle by that point.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nore had it right as to what is happening. This, unfortunately, not terribly uncommon on shoes with closed channel stitching on the soles.

However, that does not mean it should happen after light wear in the rain either. If you wish to I would think you might be able to return them. But the damage could also be caused by the way you walk so the store may balk.

If they were my shoes I would simply have them repaired and have toe taps installed if you intend to wear them for walking about on damp sidewalks again. It will extend the life of the soles substantially.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads