1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this BB boat shoe to formal to go along with jeans?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ircfas133, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

2. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

Boat shoes are not too formal for jeans.

3. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

What is the best time to buy shoes from BB then? Thanks!

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are boat shoes too formal for anything?

And at that price, I'd probably just pick them up now (though I can't attest to the quality of their shoes).

5. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

There's a 30% off sale coming up - One day sale on OCtober 18th.... You're in college, save the money!

Or buy from LL Bean - even cheaper

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Pretty common to see boat shoes worn with no socks and shorts. You really can't find anything less formal, aside from flipflops.

I don't particularly like how they look with jeans, but they're certainly not too formal.

7. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Do you not see anyone else wear them?
    They are not formal at all though more so than flip flops, as Gibonius said, and ugly, bulky sneakers(maybe sleeker fashion types,too, though not sure how others would rank them).

$128 seems steep for this type of shoe unless the BB version is really superior in some way. Does not appear so cosmetically.

Actually, I recently discovered I have a brand new in box pair of Timberland boat shoes. I don't think I have a use for them so would probably sell them if you are interested in a size 13, reply or PM me. And if not, no worries, but definitely listen to Mike147 and save some money with the sale or an alternative. Though the LL Bean version I peeped look like crap. I would not think one version would look so much worse than another but it appears that is the case and it goes beyond the white sole, just crap looking leather.

8. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Thanks. My feet are tiny; only 8E for Allen Edmonds. How's product quality/style from LL Bean?

9. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

10. joeverns

joeverns Member

+1 Agree with this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The Brooks Brothers shoes are most likely good quality, but they do seem rather expensive for a pair of boat shoes. Why not just get a pair from Sperry, for example? They're well-made and typically about half the price - or less - of the BB ones.

And in response to your question, I think that boat shoes go well with jeans or chinos. In fact, they've been a college staple for the past few generations.

12. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Jeans are too formal for boat shoes.

1 person likes this.