• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Quality - Canali, Gitman Bros. Robert Talbot

vrsatile

Reaction score
Hi - new member here. I'm coming off a major illness - fine now - that found me losing a lot of weight and am in the process of replacing my entire wardrobe. Finding things that fit me (6' and 150 - 155) is tough. I bought a Canali casual long sleeve shirt and noticed that the sewing seemed iffy. A button actually came off while I tried it on once I got home. And the label had a stray loose thread too. Is the Canali brand considered a quality product as opposed to just fashionable? How about Robert Talbot? Gitman Brothers? Andrew Carrington? Scott Barber?

I really can't afford to make mistakes on my purchases. Any thoughts or recommendations as to brands that feature great quality that fit a slimmer shape? There are just so many brands out there and frankly I no longer trust my local specialty shop for a recommendation. Thanks in advance.

MichaelE

Reaction score
Try shirts from Turnbull & Asser or Gieves & Hawkes. You will not be disappointed with the fit.

They are a neat, trim fit if you have an average American male physique.

Material and construction is second to none.

vrsatile

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - lots of good recommendations in the post. No brands I've seen locally though. It seems perhaps MTM, which I've done in the past - might be the best way to go. Any comment on the brands I mentioned as far as quality would still be appreciated - as the are available now - and if okay quality wise I can have them tailored.

vrsatile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
Try shirts from Turnbull & Asser or Gieves & Hawkes. You will not be disappointed with the fit.

Thanks - I'll check those out too.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE

Well he doesn't.

Originally Posted by vrsatile
Finding things that fit me (6' and 150 - 155) is tough.

FWIW, in my limited experience all the brands mentioned in the title make rather boxy shirts.

MichaelE

Reaction score
Good to know you're getting better.

I have no experience with the shirtmakers you mentioned; only those that I recommended.

I really like the English cut shirts, I'm only of average build, but every American-bought shirt I've ever had fit like a potato sack.

A 16/33.5 from T&A or G&H fits like they measured it for me. Trim in the waist, high armholes, pattern matching. and excellent collars.

You really should indulge yourself and 'ring them up'

My appologies, I failed to pay attention to the size you stated. T&A and G&H can tailor a shirt via e-Mail or thier site. They also have U.S. fittings from time to time in major cities. That pretty much leaves me out. But I'm fortunate that OTR fits as tailored.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dress shirt from Canali's Exclusive Collection that i absolutely love. The fabric is fantastic and it fits very slim throughout the body. I paid $100 (retail is $300) on sale at Bloomingdale's. The quality is al least as good as my RLPL.

For cheaper slim fit shirts I like Hugo Boss(!) and Polo custom fit. They can both often be found at discount retailers for about $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads