• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt colors?

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
AHow about this light purple?

I like it. Also maybe try a light grey.

Having tapped out solids I'm working through subtle patterns right now in order to get a little variety. You might also try herringbones, subtle stripes, etc. Here's a herringbone stripe I had made a while back.

Attachment 35602

Gran Torino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
After buying too many white and light blue shirts I feel that I need some new colors.
How about this light purple? (I'm not too keen on pink)

purpleg.jpg

If you dont like it, please recommend some other nice color.

I only buy dress shirts in this order

White
Blue
Pink
Malva the one that you show .

White with stripes of the above . No check sorry.

Never green or brown of course!

Bates

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments!

I'm going to order a light purple (malva) shirt now. But its a custom shirt and I can not choose purple buttons. My options are: White, beige, light gray, gray and black.

I guess white would look best, but maybe light gray will work to?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White or light grey is what I'd go with.

As for shirt colors. After watching Mad Men and talking about it with the people over at AAAC, I've realized that white is the only true color appropriate for business. White has historically been the color of the rich and landed elite. Why? Because it means you don't get dirty. Hence, white collar/blue collar. Blue hides the grease a little better, but white cannot get dirty at all. It also explains why everyone but the big boss wears white shirts all the time; and Cooper only wore a light blue shirt once.

Thankfully, we no longer live in those days and can branch out a little bit. But, the basic premise is still there. Light colors are more formal/business-like. Closer to white, the better. But if your wearing business casual, anything not too tacky is probably ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads