• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving questions...

soulwax36

Reaction score
I have a few questions about shaving. First, I just recently started using this new electric Norelco shaver (one of the ones with the 3 round blades in a triangle). Well it seems every time I use it, a couple days later I'll get this spot on my face where I'll get a million white heads. Like I shaved saturday, and I woke up monday morning with a patch of white heads on my chin, before that it was a little patch on my neck. Does anybody know what's causing this or how to stop it?

Second, in movies and shows and stuff after the barber is done giving the person a shave he usually puts a towel over there face. Well whenever I shave I get a slight razor burn and to stop it I always just splash hot water on my face because of what I've seen in movies. But then I read somewhere that you're supposed to put cold water on after the shave. So what exactly are the benefits of doing both or what should I be doing?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advanced!!!

CoryB

Reaction score
The heat opens the pores making the hair more stand out further and thus results in a closer shave. The cold water does the opposite, it closes pores and should be used after a shave. The best time to shave is just after getting out of the shower as your pores are already open. Regarding your first question, I'm completely clueless as an electric razor has never touched my face. It certainly sounds odd though.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I assume you're breaking out because the electric shaver is either irritating your skin in those spots or causing ingrown hairs (something I understand they are prone to doing).
If you're getting razor burn and/or breaking out, try using an aftershave balm. But the real answer is to use decent shaving soap and a manual razor.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey soulwax. How come you switched to an electric razor in the first place?

soulwax36

Reaction score
Actually I never learned to use a manual one in the first place.

Could it be that the putting warm water on my face after the shave is the problem to my first question? I'm gonna try cold water after tomorrow and see if that helps. And yes I know I need to use a manual razor, I've just been to lazy to learn how to use one. If this doesn't get better I guess I'll have to though.

Thanks for the input!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since you never used a manual razor before, you haven't developed all the bad shaving habits people have with the mach 3 type razors...so you could jump right to a double edge safety razor if you wanted. I bet that would clear up any of your problems
teacha.gif
also, what lawyerdad said.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot water on your face will draw more blood towards the surface, making you bleed if you've cut yourself. Hot water also dries out the skin more, thus will make irritated skin more irrirated.

Cold water is more soothing, closes pores, and doesn't bring blood closer to the surface. Usually I rinse with warm water, since it disolves the shaving gel better, and then a final rinse with ice cold water. Wakes you up too.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Electric shavers always irritated the hell out of my skin, even if I used the pre-lube. I have a double-edge safety but either cut myself using a fresh blade or don't get a close enough shave after awhile so I went back to my two-blade gillette throw-away and have been doing fine since. It's really more about technique that eliminates irritation and gives you a better shave overall. If you do a search on here you'll find some links to a very informative shaving series on youtube that'll point you in the right direction.

Also, hot water doesn't bring blood to the surface of your skin, rather, it helps to relax and dilate the capilaries; cold water has the opposite effect.

Reaction score
i'm going to do my best not to suggest switching to a DE razor
tounge.gif
you should follow up your shave with a cold water splash and then use thayers witch hazel. the stuff is magic: a toner and astringent. i apply it after i shave and use it every night instead of washing my face with soap and it has stopped breakouts entirely. you can get it at whole foods... but yeah, electric razors irritate my skin. no problem with a DE.
inlove.gif

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the call for switching to an Art of Shaving-type routine of pre-shave oil, badger brush, aftershave.

I've not had a bump or scrape since I started doing that.

tiratela

Reaction score
I've been using the DE for over a year. I got the "Art of Shaving" kit with the Merkur. I love it..

I "try" to use it daily but sometimes I don't have enough hair that's long enough to warrant the use if the DE. It cut's too much and I wind up getting a layer of skin and sometimes a cut. That's when the Mach 3 comes into play.

I literally have to shave 24hrs apart. 0800 and 0800. Any earlier and I'm toast with the DE.

I'm gonna try to really let my skin "wake-up" prior to shaving.. so aI can just use the DE.. We'll see..

Enjoy..

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The razor might be dirty, with bacteria on it. Be careful about storage location and clean often. Does anyone know whether oil or pre-shave lubricant sterilizes?

phil47

Reaction score
Hey Soulwax--

I used to get those bumps too. I was using too much pressure on the razor; just let it glide over your skin with circular motions. The hot towel bit is for wet shaving with lather and blade, not for electrics.

In fact, I switched from electrics to "traditional" wet shaving after seeing some videos on YouTube. There's a guy there who's been doing videos on how to shave, like a substitute for your father
smile.gif
. The "introductory" video playlist is here and there are a bunch more on the channel.
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads