1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Two Pairs of Grant Stone Boots, courtesy of Grant Stone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction of the year is for two pairs of Grant Stone boots, courtesy of Grant Stone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Share It Before You Wear It

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Caustic Man, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

This thread is for advice seekers who want quick, simple, advice on whether or not they should wear a particular outfit. You will find critiques, suggestions, and advice all geared toward informing you about your clothing choices BEFORE you step outside the door.

Do you have a cocktail party you're about to attend and aren't sure if the shirt you've chosen goes well with your jacket? Are you heading to a job interview and don't know if you are wearing an appropriate tie? Do you have a big date coming up and want to know if you're unknowingly dressed like a douche? Consider this the testing ground! Why not utilize the relative anonymity of the internet to your advantage by getting judged by strangers before you risk getting judged by your friends and peers?

Here's how it works: Lay out your clothes on the bed, or some other flat surface, and take a picture. Post the picture here and give us some idea of the context. In other words, where are you going? What are you doing? Who are you going to be around? Then, the fashion brains floating around Style Forum will advise you on whether your choice is a good one or, if not, what easy things you can do to improve the look.

Here is what I mean by laying your clothes out and taking a picture of them:

(Image from Bow Ties & Sweet Dreams Tumblr account)
    tumblr_p79gg2gKbJ1u2rc3mo1_1280.png

Your pictures don't have to be this professional looking but do try to take your pictures in good light so that we can see some akin to the true color and texture of the items you are wearing.

Simple enough?

I hereby call on the expertise of @GBR @Gus @Veremund @Thin White Duke @Andy57 @An Acute Style @Murlsquirl @Burzan @Gerry Nelson @in stitches @emptym @mossrockss @Claghorn @PCK1 @venividivicibj @Coxsackie @sugarbutch and probably a whole slew of others who don't come to mind at the moment.

2. RabidOrphan

RabidOrphan Well-Known Member

I wear a similar set up to bbq/movies/etc. IMG_0025.JPG

3. Caustic Man

I like yours with the polo shirt a little better. Ideally it would be something with a more substantial collar than most polo shirts offer but sans tie is the way to go.

4. RabidOrphan

I don't know why, but I think wearing a collar shirt with a shawl collar sweater is too repetitive, so I usually wear a short sleeves Henley instead.

5. Caustic Man

It’s not any more collar than wearing a button down shirt and a sport coat.

6. RabidOrphan

Yeah, I agree. I have worn navy shawl collar cardigan with white OCDB and it looked perfectly fine, but when I tried a polo shirt with this set up, it looked stranged.

7. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

I find a polo and a cardi is a bit like socks and sandals in that if it’s warm enough for a polo, it’s too warm for the cardi, but hey, that’s just me. :)

8. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

So basically, this is the forever lonely thread?

"Does this bike jersey make me look fat?"

fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg

9. Caustic Man

You could probably use some help from this thread. :)

10. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

I'm already at the office but this is what I wore today. I was going for a monochromatic look.

I shared it with my mom and she said I looked like her little gentleman. style-2013-06-worst-dressed-june-1371762837502_mickey-rourke.jpg

11. Caustic Man

Personally, I'd wear the tights pulled up a little higher to show off the goods. Next...

12. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

Funny you mention that. That was the one piece of criticism my dear mother shared.

"PULL YOUR PANTS DOWN. I CAN SEE YOUR CAMEL TOE FOR CHRISSAKE."

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

The first couple pics made me feel like I was out of my element. But the second couple put the thread squarely in my field of expertise. Bo may know baseball, but I know spandex.

14. Caustic Man

@Eli Curt You can't dress down a dinner jacket. What you are doing is, in effect, dressing dressing up your shirt and jeans. That's not a terribly formal looking dinner jacket, at least. It's cotton, doesn't appear to have grosgrain lapels (though correct me if I'm wrong), and looks like horn or plastic buttons. Not exactly the most traditional looking thing. My suggestion is that if you are going to go with the contrast of wearing it with a black turtleneck, don't be wishy-washy by pairing it with jeans. It looks discordant and wonky. I actually think it looks kinda good with the turtleneck, but try a proper pair of trousers.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

So, I'm planning to wear this suit and tie for a wedding I have in San Francisco. Here I tried it with a very plae blue shirt, I think in real life it looks good but do you think I should go with a white shirt as I initially planned?

[​IMG]