• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Film/Cinema Thread

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sidewinder13
Hey Sesame Seed, what films were on your itinerary?

I'm seeing Winter's Bone this Saturday.
smile.gif

Hey,

Yes, Winter's Bone is one of them. I, too, am seeing it on Saturday.

Films I've seen:

Life During Wartime, Symbol, The Loved Ones, The Wind Journeys, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Honey, The Sentimental Engine Slayer, Between Two Worlds

Films I will see in the next few days:

Winter's Bone, The Game of Death, The Temptation of St Tony, Hesher, Four Lions

Unfortunately, I missed a screening of Colony. It looked very educational. Not to worry.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Hey,

Yes, Winter's Bone is one of them. I, too, am seeing it on Saturday.

Films I've seen:

Life During Wartime, Symbol, The Loved Ones, The Wind Journeys, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Honey, The Sentimental Engine Slayer, Between Two Worlds

Films I will see in the next few days:

Winter's Bone, The Game of Death, The Temptation of St Tony, Hesher, Four Lions

Unfortunately, I missed a screening of Colony. It looked very educational. Not to worry.

I wanted to see Uncle Boonmee after I heard that it won in Cannes, but the screening didn't match my schedule. The Game of Death looks very interesting.

I've seen Lola (just coz I'm filo, hehe) and Brotherhood so far. Will also be seeing Caught Inside tomorrow night and Me, Too in the weekend straight after Winter's Bone. Still thinking about watching The Kids Are All Right on closing night, and How I Ended This Summer.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I wanted to see Uncle Boonmee after I heard that it won in Cannes, but the screening didn't match my schedule. The Game of Death looks very interesting.

I've seen Lola (just coz I'm filo, hehe) and Brotherhood so far. Will also be seeing Caught Inside tomorrow night and Me, Too in the weekend straight after Winter's Bone. Still thinking about watching The Kids Are All Right on closing night, and How I Ended This Summer.

Honestly, I’m surprised that ‘Uncle Boonmee…’ picked up the Palm d’or, they must be giving it way. I’d say that just about every film I have seen so far at the festival has been superior (subjective, obviously). I don’t think you missed much.

I considered ‘Lola’. I believe Brillante will be at the festival. I’m sure he is either introducing the film or hosting a chat at another venue. That would be good to attend.

‘Me, Too’ just missed out. I like the premise of the film but I decided against it.

Tokyo Slim gave his thoughts on 'How I Ended This Summer' in this thread. Also, I'd snap up any tickets to films that you intend to see because they are going fast, if they haven't sold out already.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm surprised that "˜Uncle Boonmee...' picked up the Palm d'or, they must be giving it way. I'd say that just about every film I have seen so far at the festival has been superior (subjective, obviously). I don't think you missed much.

I considered "˜Lola'. I believe Brillante will be at the festival. I'm sure he is either introducing the film or hosting a chat at another venue. That would be good to attend.

"˜Me, Too' just missed out. I like the premise of the film but I decided against it.

Tokyo Slim gave his thoughts on 'How I Ended This Summer' in this thread. Also, I'd snap up any tickets to films that you intend to see because they are going fast, if they haven't sold out already.

Brillante was in the premiere. He introduced the film, and had a Q&A in the end. And he had a talk after the following day's screening.

I hate how they're having the red carpet rolled out at the George St cinemas tonight for that Get Him To The Greek movie. I'd have to go through a detour to get to the screening of Caught Inside tonight. More exercise for me.
frown.gif

I don't think I'll see How I Ended This Summer anymore. Although I'm thinking of getting tickets for Four Lions, Cell 211 and Wasted on the Young.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My biggest two gripes about HIETS was that it was really slow, and that I wanted to reach into the movie and beat the main character to death for acting like a total dipshit. Literally, almost none of his actions or reactions made any sense. Maybe if he were raised by marsupialed wolves in a sensory deprivation chamber instead of people.

spoilers:

Scenario 1:
For instance, you get a phone call to tell you that your co-worker's family was just seriously injured in a car accident. He's not around at that particular moment. When he comes back, do you

A: Run and tell him right away.
B: Or concoct a stupid plan to cover it up so that he won't find out for no apparent reason at all.

Scenario 2:

When he finds out, you run away. You are delirious with hunger and afraid. You find yourself standing over a radiation beacon (Which is putting out enough Rads to sterilize you) to keep yourself warm. You spy on your co-worker and see that he's not acting like he's all that mad anymore. do you

A: Attempt to apologize for acting like a total dickcheese. Talk things over like human beings, and help him to cope with the loss of his family.

B: Steal his dried fish and replace it with ones that you've poisoned in the radiation beacon, for no apparent reason. Continue acting like an asshole until he catches you, then tell him you poisoned his food.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Brillante was in the premiere. He introduced the film, and had a Q&A in the end. And he had a talk after the following day's screening.

I hate how they're having the red carpet rolled out at the George St cinemas tonight for that Get Him To The Greek movie. I'd have to go through a detour to get to the screening of Caught Inside tonight. More exercise for me.
frown.gif

I don't think I'll see How I Ended This Summer anymore. Although I'm thinking of getting tickets for Four Lions, Cell 211 and Wasted on the Young.

Yeah, I just got back from the screening of "˜The Temptation of St Tony'. Who is coming tonight? Is it Jonah Hill? The guy has like a 150m red carpet. You can't even walk on George tonight. It's ridiculous. Most celebrities come with little commotion, even Teri Hatcher had a smaller scale thing last year, but this now is way too much. Report back with your take on the screenings.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Royston Tan: 15
movie about hipsters from Singapore
15b0.jpg

this is a must-see!
devil.gif

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Yeah, I just got back from the screening of ‘The Temptation of St Tony’. Who is coming tonight? Is it Jonah Hill? The guy has like a 150m red carpet. You can’t even walk on George tonight. It’s ridiculous. Most celebrities come with little commotion, even Teri Hatcher had a smaller scale thing last year, but this now is way too much. Report back with your take on the screenings.

I didn't really see anyone walk the pathetically short and cramped red carpet (besides the cast of Caught Inside who did a quick run at quarter past 8, haha) because it was too early. But it turned out that Jonah and Russell Brand were there. I googled it. I have a feeling that Jonah Hill was in the premiere of Cyrus on Saturday night.

29759_122192767792517_111208218890972_317074_7729181_n.jpg

There were comparisons to Dead Calm but I thought the Nicole Kidman flick was better and more suspenseful. I found Caught Inside a bit dragging in the beginning. When things started to get going with all the violence (which isn't much) and suspense, it was alright. I wasn't that much of an 'edge-of-your-seat' thriller. But Daisy Betts (the lead actress) is hot! I'm sure I've seen her in a TV ad for Neutrogena or something, but I don't remember.

Sadly, I didn't get to see Four Lions and Wasted on the Young. Their screenings are at 10 AM, it's too early. It's probably a good thing that I didn't watch it coz my laptop broke yesterday and I have to find a technician who can check it out. Since it's the long weekend, it was a difficult thing to do.

However, I have seen a few others on Saturday alongside Winter's Bone. By the way, how did you find it? I didn't quite get it, probably because of the accents or maybe I was just sleepy from the previous night's premiere.

me_too.jpg

Yo, Tambien (Me, Too) is one of those charming films that makes you smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside. I decided to watch this because of Lola Duenas (whom I loved in Volver, along with the other ladies). It was so heartwarming to see all the people with Down's Syndrome be involved in this film. I left the State Theatre all giddy afterwards.

rockombia-contracorriente-m.jpg

Yep, a gay film. But honestly I think it is much better than Brokeback Mountain. I believe the Audience Award in Sundance was very well-deserved. The director, Javier Fuentes-Leon, was there for a Q&A after the film and he was great. If nothing better comes out of Peru, I hope this will be the country's submission for the Oscar next year. I also liked the song in the end credits that I downloaded it in iTunes. It's in Spanish and I don't really know what it means, but it is beautiful.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
However, I have seen a few others on Saturday alongside Winter's Bone. By the way, how did you find it? I didn't quite get it, probably because of the accents or maybe I was just sleepy from the previous night's premiere.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t go. The turnaround from the football was too short. I have adjusted now.

rockombia-contracorriente-m.jpg

Yep, a gay film. But honestly I think it is much better than Brokeback Mountain. I believe the Audience Award in Sundance was very well-deserved. The director, Javier Fuentes-Leon, was there for a Q&A after the film and he was great. If nothing better comes out of Peru, I hope this will be the country's submission for the Oscar next year. I also liked the song in the end credits that I downloaded it in iTunes. It's in Spanish and I don't really know what it means, but it is beautiful.

This is a nice pickup, you didn’t mention it before. It was one of the last ones that I dropped. It almost got in on the Peruvian thing alone. ‘Altiplano’, last festival season, was the best film that I saw. It’s as good as anything I have seen in recent times. The shots of Peru were mesmerising. It had a Tarkovsky and Felllini rhythm.

The trailer of ‘Contracorriente’ reminded me of something that Julio Medem might do but a little less quirky than something like ‘The Red Squirrel’.

My festival viewing concludes tonight with ‘Hesher’. It doesn’t look bad. I'm off.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I couldn't go. The turnaround from the football was too short. I have adjusted now.

I seriously didn't understand Winter's Bone. I'd probably need to read the book or watch it with subtitles. I like the girl, though. She kinda reminds me of Ellen Page, but a tough ass version of her.

This is a nice pickup, you didn't mention it before. It was one of the last ones that I dropped. It almost got in on the Peruvian thing alone. "˜Altiplano', last festival season, was the best film that I saw. It's as good as anything I have seen in recent times. The shots of Peru were mesmerising. It had a Tarkovsky and Felllini rhythm.

The trailer of "˜Contracorriente' reminded me of something that Julio Medem might do but a little less quirky than something like "˜The Red Squirrel'.

I like the story of Undertow very much. Much props for Fuentes-Leon's first feature. Speaking of Peruvian films, have you seen The Milk of Sorrow? I was gonna watch it when the Spanish Film Festival was on, but read some reviews online that it was so long and boring so I didn't watch it.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I like the story of Undertow very much. Much props for Fuentes-Leon's first feature. Speaking of Peruvian films, have you seen The Milk of Sorrow? I was gonna watch it when the Spanish Film Festival was on, but read some reviews online that it was so long and boring so I didn't watch it.

No, I have not. I can’t imagine it being too tedious at 95mins. When it comes to this type of film, it’s about finding a balance between being aesthetically pleasing and immersing the viewer in the story. A film like ‘Bal’ failed at this IMO (despite rave reviews). I didn’t particularly give a toss about the father/son relationship that was the core of the film.

As for the Spanish Film Festival, I think they celebrated Bunuel a year or two ago. I wish I went to a few shows. It has me thinking how well-off we are when it comes to film festivals in Sydney. The SFF is absolutely first rate. Then we have the 'A Night of Horror' film festival which manages to pack in so much in such a small program. Then there are the Brazilian, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Greek film fests. I believe Melbourne has the Macedonian film festival (and probably the Turkish too), but it is relatively small. We also have the Underground Film Festival. We also have Tropfest and probably one or two other short film festivals. It’s an impressive line-up.

movie_9347_poster.jpg

This is a film that focuses on grief and loss. The director finished the final product just hours before he arrived with the film on the day (prior screenings were of an unfinished cut). It’s funny, rude, and quite dark. Unfortunately, what should have been the final scene occurs about ten minutes too early. The film would have left an entirely different impression. As is the norm these days, we got it gift wrapped with a warm little ending and a big dose of closure. Oh, how much better it would have been had we not. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was solid.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing Banksy's "Exit Through the Gift Shop". What an amazing movie. It's a pretty limited release, but if its playing in your city you should definitely go see it.

exit-through-the-gift-shop-banksy-poster-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52