• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Film/Cinema Thread

Reaction score
taxidermia. wow. most visceral movie ever. flames shooting out of wangs, peckers getting pecked by cocks, sex w/ pig corpse, vomiting, infant tail detachment, AND MORE!

none of it seems gratuitous and all said, an affecting, beautiful film.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Tonight I'll be sitting down with Z if it arrives from Netflix and I'm also going to watch Fish Tank.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Flagrant plug.

The film my son co-produced comes out this week. It got 4/5 stars from our leading film reviewer, David Stratton. It's a tense and beautiful film, and not at all gory (given the subject matter - cannibal convict Alexander Pierce).

Van Diemen's Land was marketed at Cannes and is doing the festival circuit. It's been sold in UK and Germany so far.

If you get the chance see it, it is really good. Not just parental pride - Stratton called it "a film you won't forget in a hurry".

Trailer

This looks fantastic. Congratulations to your son.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Just saw Adventureland...

It captures all that teen angst and confusion, and triumph and passion in my formative years, and makes me feel it all over again. Working at a ****** job, ******* up, not knowing what to do with your life. (I'm still in that phase actually, depressingly enough) This movie reminds me of the best of John Hughes, and that's pretty much the greatest compliment I could give to something like this. Not the plot, but the emotional impact. This movie makes me feel heartache and hope at the same time. Your mileage may vary.

I just saw it as well, and agree with you for the most part. However, I don't think it really captures that teen angst that well. The lead character just kind of seemed to be floating along for the ride, which was more of the writing's fault.

I think it falls somewhere between average and good. Be forewarned though: this movie isn't funny. Maybe a chuckle here or there but that's it. However, the bumper car scene set to The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" is really flawless.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The local library branch has started shelving the entire Criterion Collection and will have all 500 or so by the end of next week. Here's a few CC I've watched along with a couple others these past two weeks. Lots of good ones.
51M2EBADXFL.jpg
51NFCZKTCCL.jpg
41Dl-hYaPpL.jpg
rififi.jpg
knife_water.jpg
35a0mqv.jpg
the_squid_and_the_whale_on_josh_and_josh.jpg
rosemarys-baby.jpg
Up next:
5039.jpg

heli0x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The local library branch has started shelving the entire Criterion Collection and will have all 500 or so by the end of next week. Here's a few CC I've watched along with a couple others these past two weeks. Lots of good ones.

Wow... must have cost them a fortune, all 500 in one go? Especially if theyre keeping their word cuz theres a couple OOPs that can go for more than 100 each. I remember my school's library doing this a while back, something about a donation and buying every CC and all future CC releases. Well, it didnt really happen cuz last time I checked they were still missing a bunch.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I couldn't edit my previous post so will give a couple of quick thoughts.

Z - Very good, still very relevant and very easy to get into

Fish Tank - I liked Red Road and Andrea Arnold has done well with her second film, very real and well executed.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

The entire Criterion Collection, you say? Do yourself a favour and consider these (if you haven't seen them previously):

Bunuel's Simon of the Desert
Bergman's Sawdust and Tinsel, Winter Light
Teshigahara's Boxset (Pitfall, Woman in the Dunes, The Face of Another)
Erice's Spirit of the Beehive
Kurosawa's High and Low, The Bad Sleep Well, The Lower Depths, Stray Dog, Ikiru
Bresson's Au Hazard Balthazar, Diary of a County Priest
Viscont's White Nights
Dassin's Night and the City
Fuller's Pickup on South Street, Shock Corridor
Fellini's La Strada
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise
All of Dreyer
All of Cocteau
Von Sternberg's The Scarlet Empress
Clair's Le Million

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just rewatched Snatch which has firmly cemented itself in my top 10. Also watched Assassination of a High School President. Surprisingly good for being a teeny movie.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw 'Moon' last night. Was pleasantly surprised - long time since ive seen a thoughtful science fiction film (when dwas bladerunner released?)

aKula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
it is a shame that jagger dropped out man
frown.gif

From what I've seen Kinski is better than the original plan to have two people (with Jagger as the assistant). I think Kinski is crazier. The documentary "My Best Fiend" about Herzog/Kinski is interesting to see.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
Saw 'Moon' last night. Was pleasantly surprised - long time since ive seen a thoughtful science fiction film (when dwas bladerunner released?)

Moon was great. Sam Rockwell is really under-appreciated. Fantastic actor.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished watching this last night:

mephisto.jpg

Klaus Maria Brandauer's acting in this film is incredible.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith2197