• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious question that's going to make you all angry. pt 2

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
^^^ Nope.
It's basic physics.
Expensive shoes have hard inner and outer leather soles.
Cheap shoes have soft, comfy, bouncy rubber, and lots of padding.

Makes you wonder if some SF posters actually even own expensive shoes.
Or are just "mouse click" experts.

I have some fairly expensive sneakers that I have found to be more comfortable than my not-so-expensive sneakers.

But I agree that I tend to find sneakers more comfortable than expensive dress shoes. But maybe my expensive dress shoes are simply not expensive enough.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Several pairs of AE, Alden, and some generic vintage. Some shell, some not. However, it's not the brand, it's basic physics 101. Rubber, cotton, etc are more comfortable and soft than hard leather Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****. It's really just that simple.
Assuming we are just talking about dress shoe styles then it is actually not that simple, as you put it. Read this and tell me what you think. Some people have fucked up feet and plain rubber and cushion just doesn't cut it on the comfort level. THEY NEED SUPPORT! You don't always get support from cushion. Granted if you can have both, then yes maybe your claim is correct. But most cheap, generic, rubber soled, cushioned shoes as you have described are made with flat lasts that provide no support whatsoever and therefore are not comfortable to those that need it. My bespoke shoes and my leather soled Ferragamo's are by far more comfortable than my soft insole, rubber soled Santoni's that everyone swears by and that is because of fit. They fit me in the 'right' places, supporting my foot where the cushion doesn't cut it. Comfort, like anything, is subjective...

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol @
spam[1].gif

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
lol @
spam[1].gif

not spam, i am not going to rewrite my whole post on SF, just to explain it to someone. They can go to it or not. My description is just more in depth to pose a contradiction to what he said. I don't earn money from my blog so there is nothing to spam about. I try to educate...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Assuming we are just talking about dress shoe styles then it is actually not that simple, as you put it. Read this and tell me what you think. Some people have fucked up feet and plain rubber and cushion just doesn't cut it on the comfort level. THEY NEED SUPPORT! You don't always get support from cushion. Granted if you can have both, then yes maybe your claim is correct. But most cheap, generic, rubber soled, cushioned shoes as you have described are made with flat lasts that provide no support whatsoever and therefore are not comfortable to those that need it. My bespoke shoes and my leather soled Ferragamo's are by far more comfortable than my soft insole, rubber soled Santoni's that everyone swears by and that is because of fit. They fit me in the 'right' places, supporting my foot where the cushion doesn't cut it. Comfort, like anything, is subjective...

Due to arthrosis in my left foot I now have orthopedic insoles, that provide excellent support for my feet (and forced me to change from approx 9.5 top 10, and get rid of most of my old shoes). But if so, do I still need "quality shoes"?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case I agree that Reevolving needs some serious education.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Due to arthrosis in my left foot I now have orthopedic insoles, that provide excellent support for my feet (and forced me to change from approx 9.5 top 10, and get rid of most of my old shoes). But if so, do I still need "quality shoes"?

At this point, not unless you want them. You receive your support from your orthopedic insoles. Quality shoes will help so that you have 'solid' shoes which should support you in the simple, 'not-rolling-your-ankle' type of stuff. Even if you wear an orthopedic insole, you will always feel the difference between well-made and ****. That's my take..

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
In that case I agree that Reevolving needs some serious education.

I would agree as well. I used to help people all the time who thought that Ecco's were the end-all-be-all shoes when in fact they are just a bunch of cushion and no support whatsoever and end up hurting your feet over the long run. Support always trumps cushion, even if cushion feels temporarily better.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
soft CG leather

CG is not soft, certainly not softer than an equivelant piece of non-CG leather anyway. Whatever you seem to think corrected grain is, it would seem you don't actually have a ******* clue.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
At this point, not unless you want them. You receive your support from your orthopedic insoles. Quality shoes will help so that you have 'solid' shoes which should support you in the simple, 'not-rolling-your-ankle' type of stuff. Even if you wear an orthopedic insole, you will always feel the difference between well-made and ****. That's my take..

Thank you.
I want them.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Several pairs of AE, Alden, and some generic vintage. Some shell, some not. However, it's not the brand, it's basic physics 101. Rubber, cotton, etc are more comfortable and soft than hard leather Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****. It's really just that simple.
I have to beg the pardon of everyone here when I say that while many of us (myself included) may indeed be full of "it", the issue is only " really just that simple" for those who are simple minded. Our feet evolved to walk on firm surfaces. And rock and irregular terrain, and in mud and sand, and in rain and snow. Granted wearing shoes of any kind is a far cry from what we evolved to do, but we seem to have a persistent penchant for ornamenting and even armouring our bodies. Given that, athletic shoes are worse than going barefoot. But then the case could be made that the shoes you've been wearing are not a significant step up from athletic shoes...esp. in materials. If you are endomorphic--with an abundance of soft, ***** tissue and doughy, pasty skin-- you might very well be wise to pamper yourself and wear nothing but athletic shoes. But beware of fungus and other skin diseases that thrive in the humid, airless environment of the glorified plastic bags you've got wrapped around your feet. The fact is that like...well, like sand and mud and green grass, a good leather insole will mold itself to the bottom of your foot. Foam rubber never will...it just masks the, often major, deficiencies of fit. If you went about au naturel like your ancient forefathers did, you would develop a hard, thick callus the entire length of your foot. How is that different from a leather insole? It's not. Leather is not hard...except when compared to the cotton balls and foam rubber that you need to keep from squealing and wincing every time you step off your carpet.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I have to beg the pardon of everyone here when I say that while many of us (myself included) may indeed be full of "it", the issue is only " really just that simple" for those who are simple minded.

Our feet evolved to walk on firm surfaces. And rock and irregular terrain, and in mud and sand, and in rain and snow.

Granted wearing shoes of any kind is a far cry from what we evolved to do, but we seem to have a persistent penchant for ornamenting and even armouring our bodies. Given that, athletic shoes are worse than going barefoot. But then the case could be made that the shoes you've been wearing are not a significant step up from athletic shoes...esp. in materials.

If you are endomorphic--with an abundance of soft, ***** tissue and doughy, pasty skin-- you might very well be wise to pamper yourself and wear nothing but athletic shoes. But beware of fungus and other skin diseases that thrive in the humid, airless environment of the glorified plastic bags you've got wrapped around your feet.

The fact is that like...well, like sand and mud and green grass, a good leather insole will mold itself to the bottom of your foot. Foam rubber never will...it just masks the, often major, deficiencies of fit.

If you went about au naturel like your ancient forefathers did, you would develop a hard, thick callus the entire length of your foot. How is that different from a leather insole?

It's not.

Leather is not hard...except when compared to the cotton balls and foam rubber that you need to keep from squealing and wincing every time you step off your carpet.

My girlfriend asked me why I have callouses on my feet despite wearing such good shoes. Then I kicked her in the face.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
My girlfriend asked me why I have callouses on my feet despite wearing such good shoes. Then I kicked her in the face.
Good strategy...and it's much more effective with brogans than sneakers.

pdial

Reaction score
And since you can't post on picture backing up your assertion,
you have proved what a blind clueless idiot you are.

You are one of the dumbest posters on SF, bar a few.

Run along now, internet critic in a T-shirt and underwear in his basement,
this place is for people who actually wear men's clothing in real life.

You must be one of the few that you are referring too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads