• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Alterations?

a_nun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here, but have been around for a while and am wise enough to know that this forum isn't amazingly interested in things like altering ****** dress shirts, but I also know there's a lot of smart and innovative dudes here...so someone's got to be able to help me out, right?

Anyway, the thing is, due to my current job I have to wear suits and shirts in a capacity where they get pretty beat up/worn "hard" on a daily basis, so I can't justify even really high quality stuff because I end up messing them up (think semi-physical labor type of stuff...no double stitch is going to save me). So I end up finding some cheap stuff at TJ Maxx, sale racks and the like. I've got like, my nice shirts I don't wear to work that actually fit, and then my baggy RL shirts from the MAXX. I've got a pretty lean/semi-athletic body (6', 180lbs, 16.25" neck, 41" chest, 30" waist) so OTR shirts have their issues. My question is, has any one had any experience with altering their own shirts? Like, basically if I could put a few nice looking/ semi-respectable darts in a few of mine I'd be set. It's not really worth it to me to even pay a tailor. I've noticed there's a few guys on here that alter stuff themselves, but I've yet to find anything about dress shirts...anybody? Even just an idea would be great..I don't mind experimenting with a shirt or two. It's only going to last me 9 months anyway.

Good god that post was long...what do ya think?

thanks-
nun

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look below at similar threads.

a_nun

Reaction score
right...that similar threads thing is much better than the search...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know, it drives me nuts but it's true. I wish I could make the search better. The Google search does work very well though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads